This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Auxiliary fuel valve

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Auxiliary fuel valve

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:04 am

My Lo-boy has a slow drip in storage from the carb and had a auxiliary inline shutoff valve installed by the PO . There’s an inline filter and an elbow at the tank instead of a sediment bowl.
The tank isn’t pristine and though there’s very little rust there’s still paint chips that pass thru the elbow that a sediment bowl would get clogged by and the inline filter catches, it’s all worked up until now. Problem I have now is the shutoff valve started leaking so I replaced it with a new plastic one that seem to be prevalent in All the auto parts stores now. Well, their junk. In only a couple weeks it’s leaking too. Is their anyone that sells an old school brass shutoff valve that will hold up to gasoline and maybe the ethanol they put in it these days?
Wondering if a small Home Depot ball valve will work or will the nylon plastic inside get melted by the fuel?
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Auxiliary fuel valve

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:20 am

I use brass ball valves from the hardware store.

Been using them on my tractors and garden tractors for 20 years with no problems.

Edit. Thinking the ball valve and fittings from the hardware store came to about $15-. That's less expensive than the gasoline that leaked out over a long weekend.
Last edited by Eugene on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:24 am

McMaster Carr lists ball valves for gasoline, they ain't cheap! It should be a once in a lifetime purchase though. My quick google research seems to show that you need a valve with a PTFE seal. I don't know how long a standard valve would last in this service, I do know they are used on fuel oil lines for furnaces and boilers.

Let us know what you come up with.
John

Frozenstate
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14414
Tractors Owned: F- CUB Fast hitch 1955 #191991J
Snow plow
Super Chief moldboard plow
Spring tooth harrow
Disc
York rake
Carry all
Fast hitch Mott flail mower

Ferris IS 100 61" zero turn

Postby Frozenstate » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:53 am

Fix the slow drip. Mine was an incorrect float bowl setting.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:37 pm

I ended up installing a small brass ball valve from Home Depot as Eugene did. Wasn’t sure if it’d hold up to the gas but if yours lasted that’s good.
The leak doesn’t happen while it’s running just when it’s stored. With a really low drip it’s crazy how much gas you’ll lose.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

Return to “Farmall Cub”