This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another newbie with a '56 Loboy (pics)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mr67gp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Another newbie with a '56 Loboy (pics)

Postby mr67gp » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:25 pm

Hello fellow Cubinites,

This is my first post, although I have been lurking for a month or so. Yesterday I brought home my "new" cub. It is a 1956 Loboy that has been owned by the same family in NJ for the last 49 years. It is a little rough (pics below), but certainly not a basket case. I got it with 4 fast hitch implements: Plow, York rake, 60 belly mower, and a sickle bar mower. I'll be posting some questions about most of this setup, but I already know that I want to bug Jim Becker for some info on the L-22 sickle bar mower (those pics are great Jim).

http://www.pennbrookfarm.com/loboy/lobo ... 0small.jpg

The price was extremely reasonable, which is why I could afford it right now. My wife is extremely understanding, but there are limits. With two growing boys, an old farmhouse to restore, 4 old Pontiacs to restore, and a JD 955 to keep fed, I have my hands full.

Stay tuned for more questions from a new Cub "convert".

Peace.
Jim K in PA
Pocono Mountains, PA
1956 International Cub Loboy
1973 International Loadstar S/A dump
1990 John Deere 955

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

56 loboy

Postby LiL' Red » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Looks like a great one to start with, I'll start with that kind of rough any day. Nice find enjoy!

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:14 pm

Congrats, Looks like a real nice machine, and all there " Ask away, we don't have any thing else to do, Ha ha Take care :lol:

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Welcome mr67gp. I have a 56 like that, wish it were in as good a shape as that one is! Looks great. Hang on to that grille and those side emblems they are like Gold :!:
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Welcome aboard, make yourself at home. Hope we can help if you need it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:40 pm

Thats one of the best looking roughs i've seen! Looks like you got a dandy to start with.

Welcome aboard!!

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Jim she dont look to bad to me! have seen alot worse. Hope you have fun with it and you have came to the write place for all your cub need and questions!
Alan

mr67gp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mr67gp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies, fellas. By "rough", I meant that it is "cosmetically challenged". The gas tank is the only really rough point, as it got dented pretty badly some time in the last 50 years. That'll be a challenge to get stratightened out, but I like challenges. :roll:

The tires look OK from a distance, but it really does need new rubber. I figure that after 50 years, you should replace tires just on principle :wink: .
Jim K in PA

Pocono Mountains, PA

1990 John Deere 955

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:55 am

Welcome to the forum!

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:11 pm

mr67gp wrote:The tires look OK from a distance, but it really does need new rubber. I figure that after 50 years, you should replace tires just on principle :wink: .

I thought those looked like they could be the originals. You can't really match that tread pattern with new ones.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:36 am

That is a nice looking Cub!

Unless the tires are severly cracked they look good from here.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:52 am

Hey Jim...You Done GREAT Son!!! :wink: Why to sneak into "Jersey" like ya did and scoop that beauty up YOU gotta be one of those Blue Mountain Antique Tractor & Steam Engine guys from Stroudsburg or Bangor, PA! :wink: Hey "Paul From N.J." WATCH OUT...Jim's got you in his sights! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:27 am

You've got my dream machine right there. Actually the '55 is what I'm after, but I'd take one like that in a minute if it was available.

Looks real good. Depending on how bad the tank is, a little Bondo always helps as well.

Welcome aboard!
Just Do It !

mr67gp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mr67gp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:10 am

You know, it is funny, but I have not really had a lot of time to go over the poor old beast. It really is in pretty good shape, and with some de-greasing, it will look a whole lot better. The tank is really the only "damage" that I can find so far. I do have to get it running. It will start (sometimes), but quits after a few seconds. There is an almost new replacement carb on it, but it is not correct. I have the original carb, which I plan to rebuild and reinstall.

Jim Becker & Buzz - the rear tires have some cracking and the left rear has a huge puncture/tear in the sidewall. I have the original owners manual for the tractor, and it shows two different style of rear tires. One is like what it has now, and a more "modern" style with the bars connected where they cross.

Hey Country, thanks for the props, but this jewel kind of fell in my lap! I was not on a hunting trip! I am 12 miles west of Stroudsburg, and have been drooling over the antique engines and tractors every year at the West End Fair that the Blue Mountain Boys bring there. I need to search out that club and see what they are up to.

I still have to get it off the trailer and sort through what all I have. I'll post an update over the weekend when I have some time to dig into it. Right now I am trying to keep the rain out of my house . . . :(
Jim K in PA

Pocono Mountains, PA

1990 John Deere 955

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:27 am

Jim,

The two styles of tires seen to have been the luck of the draw. The better one is what you have... the Goodyear. The Firestones (with connected curved bars) were very rough riding on pavement after they wore just a little. I have a matched set of Firestones from 1949, and finally found which tractor to put them on where ride doesn't matter.

I always try to have original tires, but they have to be matched. My demonstrator has its' original 7.00 x 24 Goodyears from 1950 and they're in good shape.

If you were closer you could have a matching Goodyear (8.00 x 24) from my tire pile.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”