This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another alternator conversion question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
5 Forward
Zip Code: 35150
Tractors Owned: Ford 600 1955
Farmall Cub 1957
Farmall Cub 1948

Another alternator conversion question

Postby 5 Forward » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:45 pm

I am putting a Denso 12180 alternator on my Cub. I have converted a two other tractors using the 10SI Alternator. A true single wire 10SI will not have the two spade terminal visible. Using the 10SI that is not a true single wire, it has the two spade terminals, the number 2 spade terminal is wired back to the battery post on the alternator and the number one terminal is wired with the diode or light to the ignition switch. Is there any reason why the Denson alternator can not be wired the same way. The alternator I purchased data sheet says it will start charging at 450 to 500 rpm.

I have read through 6 pages of alternator conversion and have not read where anyone has addressed that issue.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Another alternator conversion question

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 am

Yes, it can be connected that way but you won’t need the wire from the battery post to the horizontal pin, only the diode connected to the vertical pin. Some of the Denso’s, I’ve installed, have self excited quite easily, others, more rpm was needed. Anymore, I just add the diode anyway, if it is battery ignition. That way, the alternator is charging as soon as the engine fires off, even if the throttle is at idle.

5 Forward
Zip Code: 35150
Tractors Owned: Ford 600 1955
Farmall Cub 1957
Farmall Cub 1948

Re: Another alternator conversion question

Postby 5 Forward » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:24 am

Thank you Gary for your response.

Return to “Farmall Cub”