This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Tire Width?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rear Tire Width?

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:38 pm

The manual for my 1967 Cub says that the rear wheels can be set at 40, 44, 48, 52 or 56 inches apart. But it does not say if those measurements are inside to inside, center to center or outside to outside. The drawing in the manual looks like it may be center to center.

My actual measurements don't jive with any of the options in the manual. I'm trying to set the Cub up to cultivate a raised bed that is 24" wide plus some shoulder. I need about 36" inside to inside (between the rear tires).

Does anyone know if the manual's measurements are inside to inside, center to center or outside to outside. And, more importantly, which wheel set up will give me about 36" between the wheels.

My actual measurements are:
32" between the wheels
41" center to center
49" outside to outside

Any help would be much appreciated!
Last edited by Joe in Grassy Creek on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:41 pm

Tread width measurements are taken center to center.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:00 pm

Different rear tire sizes available make the actual width different. The center line measurement stays the same, though.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 pm

Setting the tread width to 44" should come pretty close to getting you the 36" width you need for a seedbed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks Bigdog. I was thinking that 44" would just about give me what I need.

I first got the Cub to just mow, but the plans have changed. Our place has not been farmed for close to 40 years. It has just about 1 1/2 acres ready to farm now, and we can get it all certified organic due to the lack of farming activity on the whole place. The Cub was designed to implement what is now referred to as sustainable agriculture methods and the Cub's mechanical cultivation tools are as organic as you can get. What a great little tractor!

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:06 am

Joe in Grassy Creek wrote:Thanks Bigdog. I was thinking that 44" would just about give me what I need.

I first got the Cub to just mow, but the plans have changed. Our place has not been farmed for close to 40 years. It has just about 1 1/2 acres ready to farm now, and we can get it all certified organic due to the lack of farming activity on the whole place. The Cub was designed to implement what is now referred to as sustainable agriculture methods and the Cub's mechanical cultivation tools are as organic as you can get. What a great little tractor!

They are also very cost effective to maintain and use (they are wayyy easy on gas), for the work that they accomplish, if speed is not your utmost concern. Yes, they should make an ideal machine for small, sustainable agriculture.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 am

Joe in Grassy Creek wrote:Thanks Bigdog. I was thinking that 44" would just about give me what I need.

99% around here are/were set to 44" in order to straddle one row.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Joe in Grassy Creek
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Joe in Grassy Creek » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Just FYI, had new tires mounted on the rear and had the guy move the rims out to the second, or 44" center to center, setting. Wish I had of had a little mpeg of that conversation---took about 30 minutes!

But the 44" setting gave me exactly 36" between the rear tires. That should let me cultivate a 24" raised bed perfectly.

BTW, what's with all the threads being moved??? And to where are they moved?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Return to “Farmall Cub”