This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:06 pm

Soprry about forgetting the rest of the youngsters. I told you I was a geezer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

1948FarmallCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanx

Postby 1948FarmallCub » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Thanx for the tips and the welcoming. But, I've already done mostly all that you suggest. I checked the firing order, and the cub was drained of fuel upon its would be "final resing place" So the tank and bowl are clean and it's getting fuel just fine. But I'll never give up, Im always gettin old junk and fixing it. Cars, Chainsaws, Dirt Bikes, 4 wheelers. I still got plenty of tricks up my sleeve. That H.L Chauvin guy has a interesting web page. Im following his advice to check the timing. I removed the magneto and cleaned it all up, I dont know the measurement of the gap my points had, but it was much less than the .020 that its supposed to be, but now I have it cleaned and Perfectly specd. I will Re-install my mag tommorow and get er all timed up. Unfortunetly the man I got it from replaced the mag on it some time back. That is unfortunate becuase he was stupid and did not put the gasket on behind it (asuming the back is closest to the radiator. Therefore I have to take off the backplate and clean out that end too. I also think Ill get new plugs and wires just for kicks.

And Big Dog a good way to test your acuracy with your "radar" is to try to guess how many cubs there are rotting away in South Nj The crime of the matter is most dont want to sell it, and wont ever touch it. That really should be like a federal offense or something. :x

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Welcome aboard Wayne you are going to love this sight!

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:44 am

The one problem is that the gap for a mag is 13 thousands not 20 as in what you read that was for a dist I dont know why it was not changed. How about the rotor timing have you looked at that or maybe changed that without relizing it? next I have been doing this for probly close to 25 years and still when replacing mags have made mistakes with installing and timing them IE 180 off or just one snap of the mag off taking it to the next cylinder for firing. You need to make sure that when it comes up to the pointer that # 1 on the cap is getting ready to fire or has just fired. I would be glad to help you with any mag problems you may have just PM me or ask for me.
JON

1948FarmallCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 1948FarmallCub » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:53 am

Thanx Jon That would explain why it was so far off. Apparently mr Chauvins advice is not that reliable. Im thankfull that you told me that before I put it back on. My father is a master tech mechanic and he told me of the possible difficulties I could have with reinstalling it. He is coming over tomorrow to oversee my handiwork. :D thanx tho if i have anymore ?'s ill ask. - wayne

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Its not the reliable factor its just the distributor info got put in the mag info I think.
JON

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:11 am

Hi welcome, bienvenue!
That's a cracking story you've written, well done, and the end result is just so good for you and the saving of yet another cub.
Soulds as if you should be riding around on it in just a few hours time,
Happy Cubbing
Pat

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:22 am

Hey Wayne...WELCOME! :wink: As a "former" Garden Stater, I know first hand what you're talkin' about when you say no one wants to part with a rusty old Cub in the hedgerow" "I'm gonna restore that old tractor one of these days" (Yah...RIGHT) :D THEY SAY THE SAME HERE IN TENNESSEE TOO!
Anyway...Glad you're on the Board...you'll git your Cub runnin' in no-time flat (while the geezer who got your jeep engine will still have it right where you dropped it off!!!) :lol:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”