This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Kill Switch Wire from Magneto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Kill Switch Wire from Magneto

Postby electromech31 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Im rewiring my 47 cub, I have one extra wire. I think one end goes to the magneto and the other goes to the kill switch. Put it not the original switch. Does the other end go to the frame positive ground?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Kill Switch Wire from Magneto

Postby George Willer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:20 pm

electromech31 wrote:Im rewiring my 47 cub, I have one extra wire. I think one end goes to the magneto and the other goes to the kill switch. Put it not the original switch. Does the other end go to the frame positive ground?

If I understand your question right, you have a double contact switch. In that case, you would run the second wire to ground and the switch would work backward. Pull to stop. The original mag switch was grounded internally.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

kill switch wire to magneto

Postby electromech31 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:23 pm

I have a four post switch. Does the wire run from the magneto to the switch? What are the four pole? The forum said "The wire from the kill switch runs to the terminal on the side of the magneto distributor." Is that One pole of the four pole switch? The tractor when purchased was not running and electrical was already out.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: kill switch wire to magneto

Postby George Willer » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:48 pm

electromech31 wrote:I have a four post switch. Does the wire run from the magneto to the switch? What are the four pole? The forum said "The wire from the kill switch runs to the terminal on the side of the magneto distributor." Is that One pole of the four pole switch? No, it's the terminal on the side of the magneto! The tractor when purchased was not running and electrical was already out.

There is no 4 post ignition switch for a magneto equipped Cub. Your best plan would be to get a proper mag switch which would only have one terminal. (the kill circuit to ground is completed internally). The same switch was used on all letter series tractors with magnetos.

Are you confusing the light switch for the ignition switch?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:00 pm

Cubs with mags had a single post, internally grounded kill switch. The (early) battery ignition tractors had a 2 terminal switch. Key switches did not show up until the much later models.
On the mag distributor, the wire ran from the side terminal to the single pole kill switch. Pulling the switch out opened the contacts, pushing it in closed the contacts, grounding the terminal on the side of the distributor, killing the engine.
It sounds like you have a mixture of components.
Also, if your mag has been "field converted" to a battery ignition, the kill switch would have been removed and replaced with a contact switch of some type. Are you still operating with true magneto ignition?
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby electromech31 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 am

Ok its starting to make sense now. My kill switch was replaced with a key switch (found it in a box of parts). On origianal cubs push/pull killswitch was located below the light switch correct? All the components for a mag system is there. Just that the light switch is a four post and the kill switch was missing :idea: .

Return to “Farmall Cub”