This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Block Sealer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
zack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Block Sealer

Postby zack » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:42 pm

I must have a small crack in my block because I am getting a little water in the engine oil. Has anyone ever used Bars Leak head gasket and block sealer or others on a cub? Do you think it would be safe to use in a cub seeing as it doesn't have a water pump to circulate the sealer? would there be enough flow?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I've use Bar's block and head gasket sealer on tractors and an auto with water pumps. I just don't think the stuff will work with out some type of forced circulation.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Could just be a baad head gasket too or a loose one. What makes you so sure it is cracked?

Then again it could be the head. they are relative in expensive.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:47 pm

Go to the drug store and get yourself some water glass (sodium silicate). Put some in the radiator and chances are real good if have a leak this will stop it and won't hurt a thing. An old timer taught me that trick. He said just about every old tractor has had it at one time or another.

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:58 am

WKPoor wrote:Go to the drug store and get yourself some water glass (sodium silicate). Put some in the radiator and chances are real good if have a leak this will stop it and won't hurt a thing. An old timer taught me that trick. He said just about every old tractor has had it at one time or another.

You're right about liquid glass stopping leaks. Most (if not all) used car lots use it to stop leaks after a freeze burst a few blocks. It's so good at it, it may stop 50 lbs. pressure on a water hose. (I know, exaggeration) But don't sell the vehicle to a friend afterward, because if he ever has to go into whatever you put it in, he will find a gummed up nightmare that can't be cleaned or repaired. My cousin had a used car lot for 50+ years and I've seen some of his stuff after it came back for repairs. But stop a leak? You bet unless you try to mix it with antifreeze. Then it won't work very good.

zack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby zack » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:12 pm

thanks for the info i will have to go to the store and get some sodium silicate and give it a try. seeing as its the last option besides getting a different block and starting all over.

i will let you know how it goes.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:47 pm

I forgot to mention something-sorry-I would use the water glass with just water and run it for a while then drain and refill with antifreeze. I've seen tractors taken apart that had it in for yrs and didn't see anything amiss. After a cooling system is drained and if its allowed to dry you might spot some dry powder but thats about all.

zack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby zack » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:53 pm

How much sodium silicate should I put in the radiator and how long should I run it? Also should I leave the cap and plug out of the radiator and let it dry after I run it?

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I would put in about a pint with only water in the system and run about a week every day. Then drain and put in antifreeze. Don't need to let anything dry. My H had the treatment and I've drained the rad twice since, I can't tell it was ever in there. First day after the rebuild we noticed water spitting from exhaust as it ran. Next day after the treatment it was dry. I left it in there till the weather got cold before I switched over to antifreeze. It was good eversince.

zack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby zack » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks I will put some in this spring when it warms up and will not freeze. Hope it works.

Return to “Farmall Cub”