This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Different shifter--No reverse

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839
Circle of Safety: Y

Different shifter--No reverse

Postby muleboss » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:16 pm

I have been visiting this site for a while and registered last year> I still read it often, but this is first post.
Today I changed out shifters, old one was very wore out., new one is in pretty good shape. After installing it I can not get into reverse. It acts as though it does not push gears far enought back, it just grinds. The other gears are fine. Any suggestions or thoughts? I tried old shifter again and it would let me have reverse, but it is very much shot and loose. Maybe someone has been there. Thanks Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:55 pm

You might have a bent shifter fork, does one of the forks look different than the other?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:26 pm

Check the bottom of your replacement shifter to make sure the ball on the end is straight and not worn.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Shifter

Postby allenlook » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:53 am

Maybe you're in a situation like I found a few months ago.

While installing the new shift lever, you should have both shifter forks in their center positions, and the shifter ball must fall into one or the other of them. This will be the only position where the "shift gate" (which is what I call the cup with the "H" shaped hole pressed into the bottom of the shift lever housing) lets the shift lever swing from left to right to engage one or the other of the shifter forks.

If you perhaps got the shifter ball into one set of forks, but the other set of forks was fully forward or rearward (because the tractor was in gear when you were working on it) then you may have a situation where you can shift one set of gears just fine, but the other shifter fork is stuck "ahead of" or "behind" the shifter ball on the other side, or you may have left the ball outside of both shifter forks and you can't get into any gear at all.

You can move the shifter forks manually by gently rocking the tractor to relieve pressure on the gears and using a screwdriver (or I use the handle of a long socket cheater bar) and persuading them into place.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

One more thing

Postby allenlook » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:55 am

Oh, and one more thing...

Both shifters I had were goobered up by previous owners... It turned out that one was quite a bit shorter than it should have been, and it would shift OK when I pressed down on the shift lever, but otherwise it would "pop out" of the shifter forks.

I cut them both in half (the short one had the best ball on it) and re-welded them back together to be what I considered to be the appropriate length, and now I have no problem.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:17 am

Welcome to the greatest forum on the web.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:05 pm

Thanks for suggestions guys. Problem is fixed, Replacement shifter was screwed up by someone and painted over to hid problem. I took old shifter apart and rebuilt it, works great, and went ahead and rebuilt new shifter while at it . Now I have an extra, O well I have a lot of extra things. Thanks again

Return to “Farmall Cub”