This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub water pump

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub water pump

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Anybody seen one of these before. I would like to get it up and working but need to know what kind of pully I need to put on my gear box off the pto. Do I need all 4 belts. I don't think I do, but wouldn't it be nicer if I did. I saw a picture on the TM site about it but that is all the research I've done.

Thanks Jason

Maybe not working full time isn't bad after all, more time to play around.[/img]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:37 pm

Top picture - Looks like holes in the lower right hand side of the impeller housing.

Just my opinion. I would put that pump on the next load going to the salvage yard. That a pretty big pump, I'm not sure the Cub has enough horses to handle pump if it were in operating condition.

Sorry, just my opinion.

Eugene

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:59 am

I don't know how to hook it up, but I wouldn't think that horsepower would be a problem, I have a 3 hp pump that will pump 5000 gph.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:01 am

Hey Jason. I'd fill it up with water to see if the housing does have extra holes in it that shouldn't be there. If it's alright or you can fix it, I'd go for it. Just figure out which rotation the pump spins before you make everything up. It would be a fun project. I have a 2" pump that was direct coupled to a briggs 5 hp and it worked fine, the cub would work great, I would think. The most you'd have to do is some experimenting with some different size pulleys. You definetly won't want to use a big pulley on the cub gearbox and a small on on the pump. That would be too much for the cub. I still have the pump, but sold the 5 hp, with intentions of doing the same project you want to do, some day :D . Also, you should be able to buy everything you need, different pulley for the pump, or hoses, suction and discharge, at your local TSC store. Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am

Does the pump have the name "Barnes" on it? What size pipe? The Barnes Cub pump was 1 1/2 inch. They made a 2 inch for the bigger tractors. The bracket that bolts the pump to the prong look factory or home-made? For the pre-Fast-Hitch tractors, the pump was driven by a triple pulley on the PTO shaft. This looks like it runs from the belt pulley attachment. The size of the regular flat pulley is close enough to the v-pulley they used to give it a try. Jst slap on one v-belt and see what happens.

I'd leak test it as billyandmillie suggested, lube up the bearings and see what happens. If it doesn't and can't be made to work, you have 2 choices. You can save the prong and send the rest to the scrap yard or paint it up and take it to tractor shows. Nobody but us will know it doesn't work.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am

Just looked a little closer, Barnes made both the 1 1/2 and 2 inch pumps for the Cub. Also checked at TM and found a brochure for the Fast-Hitch version.
http://www.tm-tractor.com/gbrochures/ptopumps.htm
By the way, it looks like there is an oil cup at the input end of the pump shaft and a grease cup at the pump end.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Jim, It's amazing how you can find things! :!:

Jason, I think that is an interesting find! The section of housing between the sheave and impeller is open to the atmosphere with just the shaft running thru it, and isn't pressurized. The key things to check are the 2 bearings, the seal or packing, and the condition of the impeller concerning wear. If it's not frozen turn it to see if there is any side movement in the bearings, and go from there. To determine what the drive sheave diameter should be, compare it to the headlight diameter, which would tell that it's going to be roughly 8" in dia. The number of belts to use would have to be determined by using belt sizing charts. But you probably need at least three. The brochure tells you that it will pump 110 GPM at 70 ft of head, or 28 PSI. Not bad! Larry

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

piece of junk

Postby brichter » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:28 pm

Oh, Jason, this is just a piece of junk. Not worth fooling with, just box it up and send it to me. Don't waste your time, let me waste mine. How do you guys come up with all this stuff. I never find anything like that.

Billy Ray
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:12 pm

I think the cub would have plenty of power to run this water pump. How interesting that jason (IL) would make this post of a water pump like I have never seen before. :shock: Reason--- :?:
I have just about completed the install (don't have painted up yet) of an AC generator for the rear of the fast hitch cub, which appears very similiar to the way the water pump connects.

I drive this generator with one V- belt, and from the flat pulley on the right angle drive.
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Thanks for all of your advice.

It turns freely and seems to be no play in the shafts and the spots that look like holes on the bottom is just dirt. It is a solid Cast Iron housing. It is very heavy, about 200lbs or less.

One of our neighbors by the farm gave it to me for welding up his hayrack. He told me to try it out because it came off of his cub several years ago. He told me he used to pump out flooded basements and water his cows with it. He told me to watch out because it really pumps fast.

I am going to try a rig up a pully for the right angle gear box and we'll see how it pumps. Who knows maybe it is scrap.

I have several Cub projects planned for the next few years. I would like to convert one of the cubs over to propane. I have seen one done and it ran good, with all the original parts too, except the Carb.

Thanks Jason

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

water pump

Postby LiL' Red » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Very interesting find, keep us posted on the progess. Hope it works, we need more jobs for the little guys. :D

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

HF

Postby allenlook » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:36 pm

I've been eyeballing that generator head at Harbor Freight for a long time with thoughts about doing exactly that, but I think it's much too big for the Cub, so I'm looking for a used smaller one that I can retrofit.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:46 pm

jason-- does the pump have an RPM rating on an ID tag someplace?
I believe I would put a V-belt right over the right angle flat pulley like I did on my generator install, and give it a try. That should spin the pump up near the 3600RPM range. You could always add another belt or more if needed. I seriously doubt if more then two belts would ever be required. --NOTE--- I would not use a deep V-belt that has a narrow bottom contact surface. You would likely want to set this up to run with the lift in it's lowest position. The front bail adjust lever will aid in belt tensioning. Keep us posted, -----pics too----- of your progress.

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:19 pm

Allenlook writes;
I've been eyeballing that generator head at Harbor Freight for a long time with thoughts about doing exactly that, but I think it's much too big for the Cub, so I'm looking for a used smaller one that I can retrofit.

Here are a couple you might consider;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3848820870&fromMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-5000-watt-Generator-head-SAVE-50-00_W0QQitemZ7585925966QQcategoryZ106437QQcmdZViewItem

Locating used units are rather hard to come by. :(

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:43 am

I bought a much smaller pump off of ebay that has a pedestal which mounts to the rear 2 bolts that hold the rear rockshaft on. I've mounted it, and the fit seems great, but I've not used it yet. My plan is to build a little tank trailer, and use it to irrigate from time to time. I'll let you all know how that works this summer.

Return to “Farmall Cub”