This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weighted Cub on septic field?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Monk89
Zip Code: 44024

Weighted Cub on septic field?

Postby Monk89 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:41 am

There is a large raised garden bed with a tall deer fence next to/on my septic field that the wife is pressing me to remove and level. I could make a big deposit in the husband bank if I do it, and justify how much we've been spending on tractor upgrades :lol: . I can probably get this done in an afternoon with the cub, but my septic pipe access/field is right where I would access the garden to pull the posts out and to level the field with the plow. I normally mow this area with a 42inch rider with no issues. Is the cub too heavy to take on my septic field? I don't want to cause issues. I am running double weights on the rear. I can obviously take off the rear weights, but I've been spoiled with how well it pushes with them on and don't want to go back, especially because I'm gearing up for snow season here in NE.OH. I've been clearing brush and putting in trails on this setup, and i've actually gotten pretty good at it. The setup probably weighs 2,500 lbs with me on it, AG rears and turf fronts. What do you guys think?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Weighted Cub on septic field?

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:07 am

Is your drain field conventional, meaning clay/plastic tile/pipe in a stone bed, or is it the new style plastic vaults? If it's tile or pipe, you should be fine at that weight. If it's plastic vaults, you should also be OK, unless the cover over the vaults is very shallow. Typically, this should NOT be the case.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:38 am

I know its a no-no, but my leach field is under my garden. The garden was there before the leach bed and I couldn't talk the county into an off lot system 20 or 30 years ago. I've used the 8N with loaded tires as well as the Cub on the garden, with no problems that I know of. The only thing that has happened is I found out I can't plow it, I used the Cub Field cultivator instead. I would think you'd have any problem driving across yours.

Monk89

Postby Monk89 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:41 am

Don McCombs wrote:Is your drain field conventional, meaning clay/plastic tile/pipe in a stone bed, or is it the new style plastic vaults? If it's tile or pipe, you should be fine at that weight. If it's plastic vaults, you should also be OK, unless the cover over the vaults is very shallow. Typically, this should NOT be the case.

I have no idea. It's old, and I didn't get it inspected prior to purchase (not from a lack of trying). I have two concrete tanks in the yard, and then a pump that pumps up a hill to the leach field and everything sorta drains back down. Up where the pump pumps to is where the field/garden is.

Monk89

Postby Monk89 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:42 am

tinnerjohn wrote:I know its a no-no, but my leach field is under my garden. The garden was there before the leach bed and I couldn't talk the county into an off lot system 20 or 30 years ago. I've used the 8N with loaded tires as well as the Cub on the garden, with no problems that I know of. The only thing that has happened is I found out I can't plow it, I used the Cub Field cultivator instead. I would think you'd have any problem driving across yours.

Thanks for the response. Why is it that you can't plow it? Due to concerns of hurting the pipes below?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:25 pm

Someone probably used a tractor and trailer to build the raised bed and install the fence.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the riding mower and a small trailer. You could probably borrow one from a neighbor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Monk89

Postby Monk89 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Eugene wrote:Someone probably used a tractor and trailer to build the raised bed and install the fence.

Do you have a trailer hitch on the riding mower and a small trailer. You could probably borrow one from a neighbor.

Yep. I have a hitch and a trailer for the mower. Thing is though, I really just want to use the Cub's power and weight to drag out the tall posts, drag out the retainer walls, and then use the front plow to level out the dirt across that area. I don't really see my mower doing that.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:35 pm

I have no issues driving my (lighter than a cub) 184 on the septic field. Especially this time of year when the ground is hard.
My septic field is an engineered field (plastic pipe with rocks and topped with sand)
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

inairam
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 19342
Tractors Owned: 1948 6v - Dozer
1949 with kub klipper belly mower. mag 6v - Mom
1950 with plow, 54 blade, mott mag 6v - Roxanne
1953 54 blade, c22, wood 42 6v
1957 6v - barn Queen
1965 lo-boy with c-3 mower 12 v - Loboy
1974 Horse II 12 v c-2
1975 with woods 42-6 12 v - Horse
1979 long strip 12 v stuck engine
130 with international 1000 loader 6 v
1969 140 with bush hog tow behind mower 12 v
Terramite T-6 4WD Backhoe Perkins diesel
Memberships: Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association;Chapter 8 IH Collectors; IH Collectors Worldwide

Postby inairam » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:46 pm

I do it all of the time with Cubs. I do try to keep the 140 off of the field.

what google says https://www.answerthehome.com/how-much- ... ield-hold/

"Riding Mower Over Leach Field
Our lawn needs mowing from time and again. But is it safe to drive a mower over the septic system? And in the case of lawnmowers, how much weight can a drain field hold?

The answer is, it is completely safe to ride or run the mower over the leach fields. And the weight of the land mowers ranges from one to four thousand lbs. So you have no risk of breaking the perforated pipes underground when riding a lawnmower of this size.

Still, if your leach field is waterlogged, you should not mow your lawn before you dry or drain the water. Other than this, you have no risk of damaging the components of a leach field with your mower."
When you only have 9 horsepower you need to know the names of all of the ponies!

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:30 pm

The problem I ran into when I plowed it about the second time was I was snagging the geotextile and washed gravel at the bottom end of the garden. I also have a splitter box that I found and popped the cover off of a couple times. Since then I have just used the field cultivator and disc to fit it up. One nice thing is the leach field that was sized for a 5 bedroom house that only has 2 people in it now works like the ground has field tile!

John

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Monk89 wrote:I have no idea. It's old.

Then, it's most likely a conventional design drain field with pipes in a stone bed. No problem running your Cub over it. Be careful with the blade when you get down to the bottom of the fill in the raised bed, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:38 pm

You didn't state what type fence posts you have around the raised bed. But, a T-post puller is faster and probably a bit easier that using the Cub's hydraulics.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Monk89

Postby Monk89 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:49 am

inairam wrote:I do it all of the time with Cubs. I do try to keep the 140 off of the field.

what google says https://www.answerthehome.com/how-much- ... ield-hold/

"Riding Mower Over Leach Field
Our lawn needs mowing from time and again. But is it safe to drive a mower over the septic system? And in the case of lawnmowers, how much weight can a drain field hold?

The answer is, it is completely safe to ride or run the mower over the leach fields. And the weight of the land mowers ranges from one to four thousand lbs. So you have no risk of breaking the perforated pipes underground when riding a lawnmower of this size.

Still, if your leach field is waterlogged, you should not mow your lawn before you dry or drain the water. Other than this, you have no risk of damaging the components of a leach field with your mower."

Thank you for posting this, very insightful. Have a great weekend!

Monk89

Postby Monk89 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:52 am

Eugene wrote:You didn't state what type fence posts you have around the raised bed. But, a T-post puller is faster and probably a bit easier that using the Cub's hydraulics.

I was thinking about using the spare wheel trick, where I tie a choke chain to the bottom of the post, and then the otherside of the line goes to the drawbar. Then I throw a spare wheel/tire under the line so that when i drive forward, the spare tire lifts the post up. I don't want to hurt the cubs hydraulics. I already use them to carry my garbage can to the street with the front plow. I am familiar with their limitations and think the tall fence posts might be too much for that.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:00 am

If you have a handyman jack, that and a short chain sometimes works better and easier than the tractor for pulling posts

Return to “Farmall Cub”