This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

generator and fan belts 1966 cub lo boy straight? too close?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tldec50
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30553
Tractors Owned: 1948 farmall cub tractor
1962 massey ferguson 35 diesel
1952 john deere mt
1955 john deere crawler
1941 ford business coupe
1959 el camino
1977 international cub
1969 int'l 154
1958 420w john deere
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: generator and fan belts 1966 cub lo boy straight? too close?

Postby tldec50 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:54 pm

Scott 1234 wrote:gettings too dark to work in shed. so coming in to for the night.
thanks Glen..
yeh all the bolts are there. tight with rust and dirt. look like theyhave been there a while and never touched [meaning to me tht the genertor is in same spot it always has ben for a while. so if out of allignment, now, it prob was for a whil. i am guessing.. ill post some final shots i took before i came in. some make it seem really misalligned [but what do i know] some make it seem not too bad [but what do i know]. it doesnt look like the fan hub allows for any adjustments ie pull it in . so that means, as you are saying basically, the only adjstment seems to be at the generator itself. but if that hasnt moved in the 4 years since the mechanix put on that shiny new nut that is untouchable...and the shsiny fan replacemnt hub [or whatever it is called where the blades screww in to - which i note does not have the oil fill like old ones]... .. then... maybe it will work without moving anything ...just .. a daily prayer. each time i start it up :0)

In your last two pictures the left fork on the fan attachment left fork appears cracked scratched or a mfg defect when you zoom in on the picture.
The forst picture posted belts look ok,I have a 74 cub with a aftermarket fan assy and it looks like yours in the picture and the belts appear off a little.
Till or if it breaks I am leaving it alone.

Scott 1234
Zip Code: 07461

Postby Scott 1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:15 pm

so,let me understand a basic thing ..... is the "aftermarket FAN assembly.". is that made up of: the shiny piece [in my picture] that connect right to the blades PLUS the 2 pulleys PLUS what i call a nut [its the 5/8inch piece i loosen and tighen the shaft with].. so is that all one piece? then if so.. then yes, then i guess i understand,, if that aftermarket assembly of all those pieces as one component is a tiny bit different than the original,ie longer.. then that would explain why the 2 pulleys might be a bit further out from the Forks.. and hence why the 2 pulleys are out of allignment frm the generator etc. [i also lke your. if it works dont mess with it approach :0)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:15 pm

Hi,
Yes, the place where you put the wrench on the shaft is part of the shaft that goes into the fan assembly.
The shaft goes almost to the front, where the fan blades are, on the original fans.
I don't know what the replacement sealed fans are like inside.

Below is a pic from TM Tractor of an original fan assembly.
It shows the original size nut at the rear, that holds on the rear of the slot.
The nut has to be big enough it doesn't slip into the slot, and make the fan crooked. :)
Attachments
Cub fan 3.jpg

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Ah ha. Thanks. Great picture! Wish they had put one just like that on it back in 2019 repair . Now I get it .! (But not sure if that’s the problem here. Maybe :0). Yeh the back nut(untouchable ) i think is ok on mine (maybe . The place on the shaft (where I tighten or loosen) on mine only allows a wrench from one side (rounded on half of it ) not sure if that is normal (doesn’t affect this discussion. Just an observation). but just makes it harder to adjust (since hard enough to get my wrench in it ). Thanks for that picture !

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:17 am

It usually takes a very thin wrench to get it on the shaft to be able to turn it. Some have reported that they grind an end wrench down to get the thin size needed. Maybe vice grips to help hold the nut. You can grind a flat washer to fit into the grove on the back side of the fork to help with the fit and access. Neversieze the threads for next time. JMHO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:30 am

Morning Stan. You are correct. It is. Or was hard. To reach the tightening nut. As I say. Mine is not a normal 4 or 6 sided nut. It seems to be flat on two sides (where you. Grip with wrench ) and the other sides or th e rounded shaft. Hence Yiu need to only be able to go in at it from one angle size . It is a 5/8 on mine. Hence a 5/8 wrench works. No one seems to sell a long 5:8 wrench. Hence I had to put a small pipe on my small thin 5/8 wrench to reach at get it . Had I had nice Ling 5/8 I might have avoided having to also remove the air filter - but I removed it. Put in pipe to 5/8 wrench and loosened it (while holding non touchable nut on right so not to let that move) and bingo fan came loose. Now. I reassembled in reverse order (hoping !! That I have that fan nut and shaft all Tight ! Enough :0). Thanks !

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:48 am

Morning GLen.. and everyone else still following and helping :)
i was away. but now back to the shed...
i took Glens advcse. and measured..and i got about same as him [see picture] [glen said above that he ; "it is 5/8" from the front surface of the slots, to the rear edge of the gen pulley." ]... so i did what Glenn did and got about the same.. oh well. i guess... once i finish the other repairs, and put hood back on etc, and turn it over. only then will see what i got :0
Attachments
fuse.jpg

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 pm

Hi,
Thanks for measuring that.

The pulleys on my fan hub are sheet metal, they are thin.
The pulleys on your replacement fan hub are cast, and are thick. There is a thicker surface at the rear of the generator pulley.
The place the belt goes is farther ahead, making the belt out of line.

I would try putting a thin flat washer on the shaft, in place of the thick washer, it will move the hub back some, and help align the belts better.
Try to find a washer the same ID and OD, an auto parts store, like NAPA might have that.
It can't have too thin of a washer, so it doesn't bend when tightening the shaft in position.

You will need to remove the fan belts and the fan out of the slot to change the washer. :)

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:28 pm

To Glen; and anyone else still thinking on this.. :0). Yeh so i looked again. At what you suggest. [which is to replace the washer on the fan hub betwee the fans to the generator pulley and next to the cast iron rabbit ear holders..]. Putting a thinner steel washer in stead of the existing thiick one, i realize.. all i am gong to get is a savings [ie pulling the fan hub back towards teh chasis] is maybe 1/16 or less of an inch [figure the new washer has to be thick enough as you say, so it wont bend. So at best it must be at least 1/2 the size of he current old thick one]. So , i don think that will do the trick...it wont move the whole fan hub back enough to make much of a difference...... :0/.BUT... Another idea i had..[but i dont know how generators are made]. What happens if i undo the nut on the front of the generator blade/pullly? What happens.? Does the generator pulley simply slip off of some shaft of the generator? If so.. is it then possible to put. Couple of washer behind the generator pulley and the generator itself - hence moving the generator pulley itself forward., away from the generator and more aligned with the fan pulleys.. And more in line.. [i am afraid to touch that generator nut i speak of... not sure if that holds the whole dang generator together :0). Or something ]..

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:50 pm

Hi,
That is right, the fan won't move much to the rear by replacing the shaft washer with a thinner washer, but I thought it would help a little to align the belts.

You could put 1 or 2 thin washers behind the gen pulley, if the shaft sticks through the nut far enough.

The generator won't fall apart if you remove the front nut and pulley.
The gen is held together with 2 long bolts that go from the rear to the front.
The heads for them are on the rear of the gen.
Don't remove them, I'm just saying how it is held together.

Below are pages from the Cub parts manual, showing the 12 volt Delco gen.
The bolts are number 34 in the pic.

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-07.jpg

http://www.farmallcub.info/manuals/cub_ ... 008-08.jpg

The nut should be tight, they can be hard to remove, use a long box end wrench that fits it, or a 1/2" drive ratchet and socket.

The shaft has a key at the pulley, to keep the pulley from turning on the shaft.
The key is number 34 in the pic.
You will need to remove the key to put the washers on.
The key can be a tight fit in the shaft.
Be sure to put the key in again.

Look closely and see if there is enough room behind the key for the washers, if not you could file a notch in the ID of the washers so they will go over the key.
Someone probably makes a small file that would file the right shape in the washer.

Hold the pulley from turning, and tighten the nut tight when done.
The nut can fall off if not tightened enough. :)

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:31 pm

So when are you going to be in the area.. :0). ?

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:54 pm

As to the merits of what you say... phew... :0). I wish i had your skill.. most of my best intention on. projects dont always turn out as intended. ... anyway... i think your first line/question is an important one.. ; does the shaft of the generator stick out enough of the nut on the generator pulley/blades... and .. i am kind of thinking. Maybe no.. the shaft ends just smidge Inside the end of that nut.. which means.. if i do do all this, and put probably 2 washers on it. To make it stick out further.. than im thinking . That the shaft is probably going to be ending.. oh ... maybe just a smidge over half way through that nut. Unfortunately..

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Glen » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:36 pm

Hi,
If the shaft would only be half way through the nut, with washers on the shaft, that probably isn't enough threads for the nut, my opinion.
You could remove the bottom generator bracket, and file the mounting holes so the bracket will slide farther ahead, it's some work, but probably would work.
Last edited by Glen on Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:13 pm

Unless you are really looking for another battle, I wouldn't touch the generator pulley. They usually fight.

I don't know specifics of how the replacement fan pulley hubs go together, but wonder if something is supposed to be pressed in place and wasn't pressed quite far enough. At this point, I'd run it as it is.

Scott 1234

Postby Scott 1234 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:21 am

Mourning all.
Oops auto correct put in misspelling. Meant to say. Morning all.

Yeh.. so.. I guess i will give it a try as it. As is..
[as you know i have to put everything. Ie hood. So gas tank, gas lines etc. Back In place again.first To make it run. To test it..

[ well i guess i could just reconnect battery and turn the key, and push starter. And have battery power give it a twirl a few times? To see what happens with it all too, first].

But then ill put it all back together [ i did figure out,at least, how to fix all the other electrical issues. My lights work :0). ]
And fill her up. And see if she spins and all :0)

Stay tuned...
Scott