This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head Bolts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1948FarmallCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Head Bolts

Postby 1948FarmallCub » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:41 pm

Hey Wayne here and Ive made some serious progress with the old 48. About a week ago I pulled the hood off and decided to remove the head. What a mess!, massive amounts of carbon and some vavle issues. I had the head and the intake/exhaust manifold baked, and glass blasted, the head resurfaced and my valves reseated, and replaced one valve. Now that Im putting things back together I am wondering what is the torque spec for the head bolts? and my points should be set at .13 correct? Thanx - Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:47 pm

Wayne, the head bolts are torqued to 45 foot pounds. Take it up gradually. The service manual shows the pattern for tightening. If you don't have one, you can get the pattern from Rudi's manual site. If you need a link, just yell.

Point setting is .013 if you have a mag. .020 if you have battery / distributor ignition.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm

The engine manual calls for 40-50 foot pounds. The tightening sequence is something like this - I just did it a few days ago but this is from memory so make sure you look at the manual... Be sure not to mistake inch pounds or newton meters for foot pounds. Depending on what your threads looked like on the old bolts (you are using new ones, right?) be careful when bringing up the torque.

13 7 4 6 10
14 3 1 2 11 -> Front of tractor
15 9 5 8 12
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:09 pm

Wayne:

Here is the link to the correct page in the GSS-1411 Service Manual - Group 1 Engine - Page 1-14.

Ensure that you follow the torqueing sequence exactly...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:14 pm

I owuld reccomend getting new head bolts. don't get them form the hardware store either, they are harvened and specific lenghts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”