This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Air Cleaner

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Air Cleaner

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:51 pm

I bought my Cub this summer , spur of the moment. Got it at a garage sale on my way home from a week in Canada and not to far from home. It ran great, sounded great and the guy mowed with it on a hill and on flat and it mowed great. No scalping , looked good. Afterwards I found this site and now I know I paid a bit to much for it, not terrible but to much is to much especially if you want to add implements or what ever. And I didn't do a very good job checking somethings out. Something had backed into the side of the radiator and bent it and the radiator brackets and apperently the air cleaner pipe. I just replaced the radiator and brackets and now I need to either fix or replace the air cleaner. What method would you use to straighten this short section of pipe out. Would you clamp the air cleaner body down and stick a piece of pipe or rod in it and try pulling it straight or use some heat on it at the lower end where it meets the body of the air cleaner before pulling. Or none of the above ? I figure someone's done this before and can steer me in the right direction. This bent pipe just doesn't let the hood sit right. Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

I don't know ,

Postby countershaft » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:02 pm

straighting it would be a job in my opinion. I see them on e-bay for sale , not too expensive. If it were me , I would replace it . You have that breather pipe on there too ,that may be damaged .
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

Johnny Lake
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Johnny Lake » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:51 am

Morning, you might want to give JP Tractor Salvage a try. I have used them in the past and they are good people. They should have what you are looking for.
Johnny
Johnny Lake

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:10 am

Mike, If you want to try straightening the pipe (what have you got to lose?) Your proposed method sounds reasonable. A section of pipe inside the air cleaner pipe worked down slowly should push the bend out. I've never done it on an air cleaner pipe but have done similar procedures with some success. Drive the end of your pipe into the bend a little at a time and work that area straight before proceding further.
Let us know how you make out.

BTW - If you like your tractor, you didn't pay too much.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Air Cleaner

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:29 am

I'll work on it today and see what happens. As far as my comment on the price, guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for another one that I can get for near to nothing . Gotta have a goal ! And YES, I like my tractor !

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

air cleaner

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:03 pm

Took a piece of pipe closest to the inside diameter I had put it down in and pulled, it straightened up. I left it bolted on as that gave me the most secure place to do the job. Thanks

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Air Cleaner

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:50 am

Mike's 49 Cub wrote: As far as my comment on the price, guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for another one that I can get for near to nothing . Gotta have a goal ! And YES, I like my tractor !

Mike,

Judging how good of a deal you got depends directly on how much you like the tractor. If it's a good tractor, and you like it a lot, then it doesn't matter how much you paid for it; you got a bargain. You could have spent $25,000 on a new Kubota and a mower deck, and not like it nearly as much.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:08 am

Hey Mike...If I were you, I wouldn't worry much about having "over paid" for a Cub. REMEMBER...EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE :wink: I've seen guys put hundreds of miles on their trucks...looking, searching every weekend...checking out TONS of Cubs just searchin' for that "right one at that right price" :shock: After ya add up all those miles of wear n' tear...gas by the tanker load...food n' lodgin' and such.....I'd say you made out just fine locatin' a Cub "on the way back from Canada" :wink: BESIDES..."OWNING A CUB IS PRICELESS" (Just ask the guy who doesn't have one yet!) :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

air cleaner

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:04 am

I agree with you guys, it's the fun of having a Cub. I'm glad I took the plunge and bought it or else I wouldn't know what fun I was missing. It's much more fun mowing with the Cub than with that piece of !>@$%# green monkey dung that I REALLY have to much money in !

Return to “Farmall Cub”