This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

She's a runner, with a few issues?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

She's a runner, with a few issues?

Postby Thackery » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:24 pm

After checking over everything that everyone has advised. I got my freebie running. She's a little hard to start but runs pretty smooth. No smoke. However she likes a least a half choke, always. I have not put the air cleaner back on yet, would that act as some choke because of the draw pressure through the cleaner? I already tried to retard and advance my time. Advancing helped but did not clear up the problem.

I also noticed a knock when at high idle.

I had a problem with her cutting out suddenly but I think it was because I still had a really long fuel hose on that went up and down all over. I shortened it up and that problem has stopped for now.

The hydraulic reacts but does not lift.

The front right tie rod is bent at the adjusting thread and I cannot getting the tie rod and end plug to close up enough to keep the right wheel from wobbling in the ball and socket.

Leaking oil at the top of the filter, I think a PO must have cranked down the bolt and cracked the housing cap.

If anyone could attach some pictures of their choke linkage, starter linkage, as well as a decent attachment for the 6V coil and voltage regulator, I would really appreciate it.

While adjusting my timing that coil and regulator have driven me insane by being in the way all the time. I am going to make or buy a new harness so I have options open. I think this is a 50? cub that still has a mag but is using 12V. with a 6V coil, resistor, and generator.

Good things: The clutch works, all four gears work, the pto works, she holds coolant.

Thanks for all the advice so far. all of you are a fantastic information source. This is the first tractor in my life other than driving the neighbors to do a few chores. But I have learned a great deal already.

Like not to pop start her while only 15 feet from the barn going down hill, since I lived through it, I got a good laugh at myself. :oops:

Doug in Thackery

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Need ing choke to run is usually caused by dirt or rust in the fuel system. Remove and clean the fuel bowl, pull the jet out of the carb and clean it with a piece of telephone inside wire and blow it out with compressed air. Turn the fuel on with the jet out, you should get a steady flow into a clean white bucket. That will show up dirt on the bottom and if poor flow a plugged screen in the carb inlet or stuck or mis adjusted float. Last thing to try is to adjust any thing when starting out. Clean, lubricate and clean. You can always adjust later and not have to readjust back to origional. I would take the carb apart if it were me and clean the sediment out of it. Put in a fresh gasket. I am spoiled the nearest dealer is in town about 2 miles away. The gasket in it could be older than you are. Not older than I am because the didn't make Cubs before I was born.
After all that a weak coil (some turns of wire shorted out) not completely bad. Point gap and a bad condensor could do it too. Do the simple inexpensive things first. I have said it before but I must constantly remind my self. KISS Keep it simple stupid. I get into more trouble when i forget.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:52 pm

Thackery - the thing to do is to take one item at a time and work on it until it is corrected. You can probably knock 2 or 3 of them out very easily and then concentrate on the big ones. Now is a good time to decide if you want to return the mag to a functional state or continue using the field conversion to battery ignition.
Most importantly, have fun while you are doing it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 pm

Engine knock at high idle - indicative of several things - most likely a rod bearing. Check around could be something else. Do the simple inexpensive things until you locate and cure the cause of the knock.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”