This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cannot get my cub to start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 16844

Cannot get my cub to start

Postby Royalwulff24 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi everyone, hope a had a good news year. Ok, I was having trouble with mi distributor so I just bought a new one, took the tappet cover off, made sure both valves were closed to ensure TDC, , rotor is correctly pointing to #1, new coil, ugs, wires, condenser, points, points set to . 20 I turn on gas, and crank and crank and crank, it doesn't even try to start, then gas begins to run out of carb, I shit off gas, drain carb, pull plugs, they are soaked, I dry them with a torch, I have good blue spark, but it won't even chug. The only chug I got out of it was using a trick pap taught. Me when I was young I squirted some lighter fluid in each cylinder, tightened the plugs and I got a few chugs, but that's as far as I can get. Any ideas ? I know I'm close but...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cannot get my cub to start

Postby staninlowerAL » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:08 pm

JMHO, having both valves closed (you didn't say which ones) is not a good way to ensure that #1 piston is at TDC. I would follow the instructions in the service manual GSS 1012 to make sure that you have the distributor installed correctly. Check it out in the manuals section at the Quick links tab, top left corner of this page, pdf manuals folder. When you get it installed correctly the timing needs to be set with a timing light. Static timing will get it close enough to start the engine. Good luck
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Royalwulff24 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 am

, Sorry, the valves on #1 I pulled the tappet cover just to. Make sure that when the pointer and the notch said TDC, that #1 was on the compression stroke . Everything installed exactly as the manual instructs, I did notice that after adjusting my valves it became a " cold starter" and I had to play with the choke whereas before unless it was extremely cold you barely had to choke, in the summer, just hit the starter, could it be that it needs advanced or retarded a few degrees ? I can get it to chug for a few seconds and that's it. Before the old distributor gave me problems, I did time it with a light both low and fast idle, the thing was the easiest starting tractor I saw, even after setting for months, it would fire right up. Well I guess I'll retrace my tracks and see what I missed, I appreciate your insight, it just frustrates me that for years it started so good, now 8 can't get it to start... Lol. I've been a heavy equipment mechanic all my life, specialized in Hydraulics, this tractor is like a refresher course to the days of my 70 chevelle. Again, thank you

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:47 am

Bright blue spark is promising. That leaves fuel, timing, and compression.

If you have gas running out of the carb, you are over-choking it. I usually full-choke for 1/2 to 1 revolution of the engine and that is all it takes (and yeah, every tractor requires a slightly different procedure). If you're getting appropriate amount of fuel/air and spark at any time, you should at least get something to fire even if wrong timing or plug wires mixed up. I'm assuming you double-checked plug wire order on rotor.

Have you run a compression test on it?
Jim

Circle of Safety

Royalwulff24
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Royalwulff24 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:00 pm

Hello and thanks Jim, yeah I ran a compression test low was 111, high was #4@ 119. The ugs when I took them out for the test were very wet, except #4, #4 was wet , but not soaked like the others, so i plugged each plug into its wire and laid them on top of the motor and cranked it over, now I have orange spark, and no spark at #4. , I also had bright blue spark at the points, but it was a very very tiny spark with an occasional big blue spark. It's been extremely damp here although the distributor didn't appear wet I took it apart and is been in front of the hair dryer for about an hour. Seems odd with everything brand new that I would lose spark to a plug that soon, I doubt there is 500 revolutions on the distributor yet.
Also, I adjusted my governor control rod on the carb per manual, but I am almost completely. Out of adjustment, literally 1 or 1 1/2 turns and the turnbuckle would fall off... Could that have anything to do. With it ? It's been awhile since something so simple some beat me up.. lol I'm. Beginning to think it's a Mule

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:35 pm

Hi,
You didn't say what year the Cub is, or what was wrong with the other Battery Ignition unit.

An orange spark when testing the spark, jumping the spark to ground, is weak, the engine may not run, or run right.
The spark should be blue or white, and jump a 1/4" gap, from a spark plug wire end, to a bare place on the block.
You said everything is new, you may have gotten a defective coil, or condenser.
Be sure the battery is fully charged.
I sent you a PM.

Below is a page from a Cub owner's manual telling how to find number 1 cylinder TDC.
Use only paragraph number 2 on the page.
It is for a magneto, but the same method with either ignition system.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-32.jpg

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:00 am

A couple of questions. If the tractor started easily, why did you try to fix it? When did the tractor begin starting hard? After you adjusted the valves or after you replaced the distributor?
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Stoffregen Motorsports
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 95614

Postby Stoffregen Motorsports » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:24 pm

Does fuel pour out of the carb when you're not cranking? Stuck float?

Waif
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49343
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub "Seen Yore Dobbin"
53 F-Cub W/Loader.

Postby Waif » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:52 pm

Correct distributor installation.

Firing order.

Timing.

ignition components in spec. , working properly. Not all new are always good.

What are your plug and point gaps supposed to be? How do I know you know?

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:21 pm

You need 3 things. Fuel, fire and air.
There was a time a couple winters ago, my 130 would not start at all. I had fuel and fire.
I did a lot of checking on points, cleaned plugs, clean fuel bowl etc.. THEN I thought of the air.
I checked the oil bath and that was the problem.
Water had got in there from sitting outside in the summer for a few weeks and when temps dropped it turned the oil in the bath to ice cream thus no air flow. Once I cleaned that up with fresh oil. Boom! Fired right up. I never forgot that and now every fall it on my list of service checks.
Just Do It !

Return to “Farmall Cub”