This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Gasket Leak

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dukester
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator Gasket Leak

Postby Dukester » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Well the old 48 is looking good and running good. It is ready for a littlle garden work this spring, butt I wonder if I will have to pull the top back off to fix the small radiator leak or could someone tell me if they have ever put stop leak in their and it worked. If so what would be the best to use.
Rex Crabtree 1948 Cub "Alice"
"The sun don't shine on the same dog all the time"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 pm

Did you try retightening the bolts on radiator flange. If that dont stop the leak then I think it is best to replace the gasket as I dont think any stop leak will work.
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Leak

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:32 am

I thought about using StopLeak to plug up the hairline crack in the head, but I couldn't see how it would get circulated without a water pump, and I figured it would all just settle to the bottom of the radiator housing and sit there.

I'm noodling around how to temporarily provide coolant circulation for just such events. I've collected some fittings and some hose capable of withstanding the heat, now I just need to find a pump that can take the heat, coolant and skoodge without plugging up or melting the seals.

I work for a chemical company, so we have any number of pump styles to investigate, but they are all $$$$$.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:35 am

I agree with Johnbron on this one. Re-torque the bolts and if that doesn't do it, replace the gasket.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:04 am

If it has ever been frozen, the lower casting may be bowed some, in which case the addition of some silicone gasket compound on both sides of the new gasket may be needed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Mill

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:10 am

I'm still looking for a mill to be able to re-flatten surfaces in just such occasions. Haven't been any auctions around lately that I've been able to catch wind of.

I like Grizzly Industrial tools, I have some of their stuff in my barn, but their mills are pretty $$.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”