This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

to leak or not to leak that is the question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

to leak or not to leak that is the question

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:30 pm

heres a picture of left rear inside tire and the same finals. is there a seal up in there that may be bad??????????????????

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

schmoo

Postby allenlook » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:03 pm

VD,

When I got my Cub, I had a steady drip of oil and schmoo out of the left final drive, and I was really worried that there was a bad seal on that side.

As it turned out, the tractor had been left outside for a long time, and rain water had run down the shift lever, collecting inside the transmission box. This turned to brown schmoo and ran back into the transaxle and final drive area, overflowing both.

Once I drained the transmission and took off the rear main housing (draining even more schmoo in the process), I pressure-washed everything out, refilled it with only the called-for amount of lubricant, and everything has been perfect ever since. When we took everything apart at Cecil's Mini-CubFest it all looked great.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:05 am

ralph said was the same thing, just wanted a second opinion. since i got it tore down this far, want to go ahead relpace replacable stuff (seals etc) so i dont ever have to do it again. take my time(this is the hard part for me). do it right, get a lot of advice, and proceed with caution.

EZ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: P0M1Z0
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
67 International Cub Loboy
57 Farmall 130

Postby EZ » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:33 am

doc,

Had the same thing on my loboy. In my case it was not water though. I did swap out the seals and gaskets in there. Not too bad of a job. Follow directions in the manual and you will have no problems if you decide to go ahead.
Just Do It !

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:12 pm

I think what Allen described is a common problem.

The current project had a lot of water in the tranny and what he described was even worse on mine. (I know cause I saw his apart at the CubFest) The seals are not too expensive and the original leather ones end up wearing a grove in the shafts.

I removed mine with the intention of having brakes and replacing the seals, I ended up replacing the bearings too.... so it was a bit pricey (about $220) but I should be good for a while.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... cde946.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 0Small.jpg

Also, there is a 'drain hole' below the brake bands that was very plugged up on mine, I think eventually the stuff will ooze past the seal and into the final drive. Or onto the inside final drive.... which may actually be your problem.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 3b2a94.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”