This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is it the govenor or the carb?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Is it the govenor or the carb?

Postby KYMike » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:21 pm

meandmydeere wrote:Now that I have the Cub running, I have a major problem with the throttle. It will idle fine but it has no mid throttle. Either wide open or idle. Kind of how I used to ride dirt bikes and snowmobiles. When it is running with wide open throttle, the choke has to be closed about 1/3. The carb to govenor linkage is set right, the throttle rod to govenor appears to be working right.

Had the same exact problem last year. Rebuilt the carb with an IH carb rebuild kit and now she'll start and purr every time.

Good luck-
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:42 pm

Back to my original statement. Check the timing with the timing light. You can do a very accurate static timing with an ohm meter or a test light.

If you have a distributor and you can not get enough adjustment (rotation of the distributor) to accurately time the engine you will need to remove the distributor (only) and move the rotor one or two notches.

However, If the tractor starts and runs, idles well, you are probably very very close to being in time.

Magneto ignition - can't get accurately timed - you will need to retime the govenor gears.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”