This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My power unit welding machine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67357
Tractors Owned: I.H. 300 Utility

My power unit welding machine

Postby JoeKansas » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:47 am

Here are some photos. I've had this thing for about 20 years. Welds like a charm. Nice, smooth, extremely easy starting arc. Pure DC current, fully adjustable, ideally up to 240 amps (the total output of each alternator combined) but not enough horses with this engine to produce it.
It has 4 Chrysler alt.'s for the welding current, and one delco for battery charging. Chrysler units are the ideal power supply, because they have twin internal cooling fans and will not over heat. Delco, on the other hand, has one external fan which does not draw heat out of the interior of the alternator so they are poor choices for welding power. Good enough to keep the battery charged.
The welding control circuit is a pair of transistors, a heat sink, a potentiometer, a resistor, and that's about it. An electronics minded buddy of mine designed this control circuitm and he has the same set up on a portable welder he uses. His is powered by a Chrysler slant six engine with 8 alternators.
My machine also has a little 110 volt belt driven alternator which I run grinders and drills and etc with, and I did have a Chrysler "V" twin air conditioner compressor on there too. It finally seized up and I took it off. I didn't really need it, so I never replaced it.
Anyway, here are the photos: Image
Not sure if that worked....If not I will try something else

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:05 pm

Interesting.............. to say the least! :)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years

What is the difference

Postby JoeKansas » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:15 pm

What, or, it there a difference in styles of these power units- of this age?
What is a C-60 or 63 or what ever. I thought I read that there were different types. All I see in the manual that covers Cub-A-B-C and etc. shows the cub engine as the flat head model. I just assumed that a flat head engine was a cub engine was a power unit engine!
Would someone post the different models of engines that would've been used on a cub or a power unit. That spare block I have, I wouldn't want to advertise it as the wrong thing.
I went to go get it a bit ago, and the fellow was gone, so no pictures.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:28 pm

The C 60 is the same basic engine as the cub. In fact, other than perhaps a slightly different governor, they are identical. Many power unit engines end up in cub tractors. To my knowledge, there was no such thing as a C 63. There were larger power units built utilizing bigger IH engines. The C 60 is the only flathead in the bunch.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:39 pm

well there is a 4 cyl Continental engine that a lot of folks mistake for a c-60 used on the model 63 combine I don't know what the engine modle is
Jim Turner

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:40 pm

correction that is a modle 62 combine
Jim Turner

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Joe,

The IH flat head power unit engines from 1947 on were all Cubs. Prior to '47 they were 62 (or 63?) c.i. Continentals. Yours could be either one. Within the Cub group there were differences in the output type and sheet metal, depending on the application. Some had straight drives and clutches and were used on combines. Others had right angle drives to a flat belt pulley, and no clutch. They were baler engines. Some were hand start only and had no ring gear on the flywheel. Those were the two most common applications, but there were, no doubt, many others.

The Cub engine on your welder most likely began life on a combine, although I don't see any indication of a clutch.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeKansas » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Well, I did buy one of the Continentals a long time ago. I remember that the model was IY69, I believe.
I bought parts for it and got it running. Sold it to a fellow who used it on a homemade riding mower.
Just talked to a fellow about this block I have, and he tells me that it is a C60, the same thing as a cub engine.
I think when I go get the block back, I will have my buddy magnaflux the valve area to be sure there are no cracks up there, either.
This power unit I have did have the right angle belt drive, but no clutch. It has the ring gear for use with the electric starter. Didn't come with a starter, though. That little jewel cost me an arm and a leg from a salvage yard many moons ago.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm

jim turner wrote:correction that is a modle 62 combine

The Continental that IH used was the Y-69. It was used on the 52R combine, 62 combine, and I think a couple of the IH balers too. When the Cub engine became available, IH used it in place of the Y-69, at least on the 52R combine.

I have two 52R's, one with the Continental, and one with the Cub. Don't have the Cub running yet, thru the list's help I know it's a valve issue but I just haven't had/made time to delve into it and solve the problem. I am anxious to compare the two engines performance-wise. I can tell you the Continental Y-69 is one sweet running engine, starts really easy and uses the IH H-4 mag, and I can't help but wonder why IH didn't just go ahead and continue to outsource it for use in the "new 1947 Farmall Cub" instead of going through the engineering expense of developing a brand new engine which was way different than anything else they were building at the time.

Back to the welder-that is WAY COOL!! The cowling and stuff looks exactly like my 52R combine engine.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:09 pm

That's a very neat setup, quite interesting. Do you have more details on the control ckt ? A schematic maybe?

Thanks Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

JoeKansas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JoeKansas » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:15 pm

I have the original hand drawn schematic somewhere, but I don't know where I left it. I have to leave to go to work right now, but I will try and find it tomorrow when I get back.
I am an engineer, and we are on call 24~7. Here is me at a display we had this summer for operation Red Block- a safety exhibit. I am the one on the right! After I've been there a few more years, I'll look like the one on the left! That little yellow number we are standing in front of is about 4,000 horsepower and weighs about 415,000 pounds. Like to see what it would do at the Nebraska test site![img][img]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f95/leoncrooks/Katy2005Small.jpg[/img][/img]

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Wow

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:09 pm

That's AMAZING!

I didn't know you could do something like that... What's the duty cycle?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:42 pm

Joe:

Nice toy :!: :D Waaaayyyyyy cool.. 8) 8) 8) 8) :!:

Seeing as you are an engineer :idea: :arrow: , you will probably be interested in EZ's CN Cub..... :wink: :lol:

Hope you can find the schematic and stuff when you get back.... check your email.... :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:51 pm

Real nice set-up Joe!!! I've seen the schematics and plans on the net before, but never seen a working unit!! I guess my lazyness got the best of me...heres my welder. No assembly required :lol:

I've read the alternator welders work really well for homemade MIG welders also, since they can be 'wired' to have constant voltage/varible amperage like a mig requires. Once again, great job!!! And a excelent use for a CUB powerunit!!

Russell

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Welding

Postby allenlook » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Just read a great book on all the different welding types, SMAW, MIG, TIG, blah blah blah.

Was a great start, and I really want to take a hobby welding class somewhere local. I bought a MIG welder a while back, and an oxy-acetylene rig, but I don't use them too much yet.

I would love to add an arc welder to the mix, but I think I will take that class first! My first major project is to undo the moderate damage done to my IH-1000 and restore it to its former trim. It will take a lot of grinding to start, and then some welding on top of that...
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”