This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

World's Worst Mechanic Figures Out Mistake

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

World's Worst Mechanic Figures Out Mistake

Postby Tom Z. » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:03 pm

Last year, I was rushing to rebuild my hydraulic pump so I could hook up the loader to my 1957 cub. I had promised my wife I'd build a stone retaining wall for years, and I finally was ready to do it. The loader was going to help save my back from hauling the stones around.

I installed the rebuilt pump and the bypass block (with the outlets plugged) and started it up. It ran great for a few seconds, then there was a loud clunk and the sound of pieces of metal crunching around.

I knew the cam shaft gear had been shattered, but I didn't know what else. I couldn't figure out why until a couple of days ago. I did a search of the board and discovered you can't just plug the bypass block outlets. They need to loop to circulate the fluid. I was certain I was told I could run the regular hydraulics with the block in place and without the loader hooked up. Well, my assumption was that you just had to cap off the lines to the loader. Bad assumption. If I would have thought carefully, I would have realized that it wouldn't work that way.

Pressure built up with no place to go and tied up the pump. The camshaft gear kept trying to move and actually sheared off the the end of the camshaft as well as shattered the gear itself. A few teeth on the crankshaft gear got deformed as well.

A nightmare repair.

I got a different pump (I thought there must have been something wrong with the rebuild I did). Everything was fixed and buttonned up and tried to do the same thing again. I am so lucky the problem didn't repeat. There wasn't enough fluid in the closed off part of the system to build any pressure.

I now have a hydraulic line to make the proper loop.

I hate being my tractor's worse enemy.

If it weren't for all the people who post here, I'd never even attempt to work on the Cub. Maybe that would be for the best? Nah, it just takes money and time, and what I need to improve on the most: patience.

Thanks for all the help in the archives.

Tom Z.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Congratulations on working through the problem Tom!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Congrats

Postby allenlook » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Congrats Tom.

When I read your tagline - "World's Worst Mechanic Figures Out Mistake" I figured you had a story to tell about me :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:16 pm

congrats are definately in order 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

As to the worst mechanic, i wouldnt go that far if i was you, we havent met yet.

Dad gave me a semiworking B&S 12hp motor when i was in the 8th grade to take to school and rebuild as part of class project. well it did make a nice boat achor. Even with the close supervision of the highly experienced instructor i turned a somewhat usable motor into waste material. it still sits in the junk pile back home. with lots of new parts(25 yrs old). :oops: :oops:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:29 pm

Tom, keep an eye on the oil level in the engien. if you ran with the pump low on oil you could have damaged the o'rin/sela. whichever yours has, and it may allow transmission fluid inot oil.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:44 pm

I believe that I qualify for the worst mechanic.

:lol:

I have never worked on motors until recently so I have a ton of things to learn but this site has proved to be a wealth of knowledge to help me overcome my novice status.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 pm

Congrats on the Fix :!::!::!: thank you for posting this, I just bought a bypass block, and I probably would have done the same and that would be it for the hydro setup on mine :wink:

Johnny

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:35 am

Been there and done that "smoke the pump" thing, though not on a Cub. You are not alone! The best (or worst) memory is the sound the tractor makes, right before everything peels.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:07 am

All of us have to admit to ourselves...or our friends here on the board that at one time, or at several times (in my case) we have had to take up the gauntlet of "THE WORLD'S WORST CUB MECHANIC" and not so proudly ride through the streets with the banner at the tip of our lance! :oops:But TOM...The NEAT thing is that there's always a fellow or two here on the board who can help git us back up on our Cub the RIGHT WAY! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Tom Z.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Tom Z. » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks for all the support, guys. The pump isn't leaking, the hydraulics now operate. All seems well enough.

I just happy to be able to plow snow again, that is, if we get any more snow this winter.

Soon it will be time to turn the dirt in garden too!

Spring can't be that far off, can it?

Tom Z.

Return to “Farmall Cub”