This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rudi , question -----

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rudi , question -----

Postby countershaft » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:22 pm

on the sand blaster of yours, two quick questions , 1) why the 2 size hoses , 2) why did you move the hole in the bucket from the side to the bottom ? thanks bryson
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Bryson:

1) why the 2 size hoses

As is mentioned in the article, the 1/2" is the media supply hose, and the 1/4" is the make-up air hose to ensure the siphon feed works properly. At least that is what is there.. I am going to the shop in a minute, and I will try to dig it out of the shed and check to make sure.... it has been almost 2 years since I made it, and my mind ain't what it used to be... :oops: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

2) why did you move the hole in the bucket from the side to the bottom ?

Answer to that is simple... front feed I ended up not getting enough media to transit the hose correctly. Once I changed it to the centre of the bottom of the pail, then it transited correctly, in other words, gravity did what it was supposed to do.. seems even though it looked like it would work, it just didn't... which did two things -- a - it irritated me that I was dumb enough to make the mistake, b - it taught me that I wasn't as smart as I thought, and still needed some edumacation... :roll: :lol:

Hope that helps clear it up or did I muddy the situation worse.....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rudi,

Postby countershaft » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:53 pm

I don't understand where the 1/4 " make-up air hose goes ? What it's hooked to. ? Isn't the system gravity feed ? Whats the siphon feed process? thanks
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 pm

Bryson:

Yup, the system is gravity fed. But air is used to suck it up and expel it thru the nozzle... and a make-up air source is needed. I do not understand the physics of it well enough to understand, but suffice to say that it doesn't work so good without it.

And now I understand why there is confusion...

I think I might have goofed in the pics and the part list.

I went down to the shed tonight and checked on the sandblaster. Underneath the sandblaster when I relocated the elbow to the bottom, I also had to change the fitting.

I guess it is a -T-fitting now.. I will have to take it apart to check and I will take a pic to clarify.....

God, now I am embarrassed.. :oops: :oops: :oops: .. I should have noticed that when I put the presentation together....

Darn...

Just by feeling my way around, there seems to be a t-fitting. One side of the T if the barb fitting that feeds media into the 1/2"hose leading to the gun. On the other side of the T, is the barb fitting that goes to the 1/4" make-up hose. Gee, I feel stupid...... making a mistake like that.. oh well.. I will try to take a pic tomorrow to clear it up..

And it works so well toooo!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:46 am

Ah Physics where would we be without it. :)

I read the article but I do not understand where is the Makeup aitr connected to? Is it the gun or somewhere else?

Great article Rudi.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:31 am

Chad:

If my fingers tell the correct story.. workin blind on that one last night.. the elbow was changed to a T-fitting ot overcome the clog or lack of suction when only the elbow was used.

I am not sure why, I have to look at it, but it is in line with the 1/2" hose... basically I think to relieve back pressure by providing some air or is it not so much make up air as relief pressure????

I will look today and take pics.. will post later this evening I hope

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Guess

Postby allenlook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:01 pm

Here's my guess. The high pressure hose from your compressor hooks to the handle of the gun somewhere that the pictures don't show, and runs air through the gun and past a "venturi" not unlike the one in your carb.

That venturi creates a suction along that sand pickup hose, but you can't just run it into a bucket of sand because you would not have enough vacuum to just pull a column of sand along that hose, so Rudi's got a "T" fitting in the bottom of the bucket.

Sand falls down into the "T" fitting, and is drawn along that sand pickup hose because there is air rushing through it, coming in from the makeup hose and being pulled along up to the gun by that vacuum created by the venturi effect, where it mixes with the high pressure air and is thrown out the business end of the gun and onto the part being tortured.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:42 pm

hey Rudi,
the powerpoint presentations are great!!!!!! how about one on rerouting the oil guage to the dash?
John

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:18 pm

Ahhhh....Allen's explaination makes sense.

And Rudi, don't beat yourself up.....what you add to this forum is UNQAULIFIABLE :shock: :shock: The "T" fitting on the bottom pulls it all together for me now.

Mucho thanks
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Me too

Postby allenlook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:43 pm

Me too - knowing that it's a T fitting on the bottom, now I'll go and make me one. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where the make-up hose connected or how the gun pulled sand out of the bucket by itself.

Knowing it's a T fitting helps tremendously... Thanks Rudi!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Sandblaster 90

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:59 pm

My cheap Sears unit has a tapered bucket with a 90 at the botton. A 1/4'' hole is drilled into the horizontal section on the 90 on the top. It lets air mix with the sand that falls into the 90.

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks Rudi for the information.

I believe that Allen you are mostly correct. I had thought that the Make up air would be from the T but wanted to make sure.

If I am not mistaken it is a vaccum that you are trying to avoid not create by adding the T.

If you create a vaccum then there will be no air movement and without air movement then the sand will not move. The make up T in this case would allow air to move from the far side from the gun past/through the sand (picking up and moving it as it goes) to the suction side passing through the gun.

If you do not have the T/Make up air then the sand will only move until a Vaccum is created.

I just wanted to check to make sure that I was thinking correctly. It has been a couple of years since I study physics when I went for my degree.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Well it all sounds more complicated

Postby countershaft » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:40 pm

than meets the eye. Now to put it into simple terms , you use a T fitting at the bottom of the tank ( plastic bucket) one side connects to the gun and the other side just sucks air (WITH OR WITHOUT A HOSE) attached.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm

Bryson: BINGO :!: :!: :D

Allen: See, I knew somebody could explain it better than me... :!: :!: That is it in a nutshell. And exactly how I figured it out... the vacuum was broken, hence no media....

Chad: Now you know why I never got beyond college :idea: :arrow: :wink:

Kirk: Thanks I appreciate a lot, I really do, but I hate it when I do dumbass stuff like that.....

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks

Postby countershaft » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 pm

thanks Rudi ---------Mission accomplished

Return to “Farmall Cub”