This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Correct tires to preserve lawn???

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Correct tires to preserve lawn???

Postby rick 48 cub » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking spring! I just got my completely rebuilt and souped up C60 fired up last weekend. I also just purchased a 59" C-3 mower.

Now, about those tires/wheels ....

The rears leave a pretty good "herringbone" pattern on the grass from my regular tractor tires with just the weight of my 1948 Cub without any wheel weights. Should I get a set of turf tires ? I suppose I should get the largest turf tires possible to spread out the weight.

The front tires are a particular pain. They really like to dig-in when I am turning. Did I hear someone say that a set of Ford rims bolted up to the Cub ? If that is the case I could probably get much wider tires for the front.

Should I keep all four wheel weights off the tractor ?

Any suggestions are greatly appreaciated. I want to benefit from all of your experience instead of making an expensive mistake/experiment.

Thanks, Rick
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 pm

Rick,

I appologize for the Ford idea. When Barney '48 showed up, he was wearing ford wheels complete with hubcaps. On close later examination I found that the Cub centers were used to modify the Ford wheels so... no go. Here's another idea. Some lawn tractors use rear wheels that are much wider, but with the same centers as the Cub fronts. That's what the handsome Scruffy is wearing in this photo:

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:00 am

Hi George,

Scruffy's front wheels look a little unusual. What are the specs on them so I can look into getting a pair?

I am guessing that "wider is better" for minimizing turf damage, and Scruffy's front tires are the widest I have ever seen on a Cub.

Thanks
Rick 1948 cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 am

Just thinking. Would the rear flotation 15 inch tires and rims from some of the lawn tractors fit the Cub's front hubs?

I'll measure up a couple of sets that I have on hand tomorrow.

Eugene

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Hey Rick...

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:32 am

I ordered a spare set of Cub rims from JP tractor, and when they arrived, I cleaned them up for new tire mounting. I took the rims to my favorite tire center, and they mounted radial tires on the Cub rims. I don't remember the tire manufacturer, nor the size right now, but you could have sworn the tires and rims were a very happy couple. I'll write myself a note and check the details for you when I get home, and try to post tomorrow. They did not leave any kind of marks on the lawn, and were very stable.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Weight/tires

Postby allenlook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:19 am

More weight = more traction. If you want to "float" across the lawn, you'll need bigger contact patches and less weight. Just be certain your lawn is fairly flat because you don't want to lose traction on a hill!

For the fronts, I replaced my tri-rib tires with 4.80-12 trailer tires from Wal*Mart and they fit fine and don't tear up the lawn. Their contact patch is way bigger than the older rib designs. For the rear, turf tires (Firestones from MillerTire.com) work well to not leave a herringbone pattern, but you can't use them on steep grades - it can get scary fast.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Tires

Postby gitractorman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:18 am

I have not seen anyone actually do this, but, theoretically, this should work.

The high flotation front and rear tires/rims from a 154, 185, 184 Lo-boy should bolt up directly to your Cub axles. This will lower your cub a bit, but if you are primarily concerned with lawn mowing, you should be able to make adjustments to the mower deck for the lower height.

As I said, I have not seen anyone do this, and it would definitely lower your Cub to the ground a little bit, but it would take care of the tire rutting problem, and you would have your original tires/rims for other uses if you need them.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Bill

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:50 am

Eugene wrote:Just thinking. Would the rear flotation 15 inch tires and rims from some of the lawn tractors fit the Cub's front hubs?

I'll measure up a couple of sets that I have on hand tomorrow.

Eugene

Eugene,

I can't say for sure, but I do know many 2 wheel garden tractors use the same wheel. (Bolens, Simplicity, Wards, etc.) Some of those rims are 3 1/2" wide instead of 2 1/2" like the Cub's. Boat trailer tires work well on Cub wheels, so now the question is... Are 5.00 or 6.00 x 12 trailer tires available for the wider rims? I'll be taking those wide ones off Scruffy soon. They do make him harder to steer.

Scruffy is a working tractor and not a trailer queen as some may have thought, although he has been to several shows. 8) 8) 8)
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Tires

Postby George Willer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:10 am

gitractorman wrote:I have not seen anyone actually do this, but, theoretically, this should work.

The high flotation front and rear tires/rims from a 154, 185, 184 Lo-boy should bolt up directly to your Cub axles. This will lower your cub a bit, but if you are primarily concerned with lawn mowing, you should be able to make adjustments to the mower deck for the lower height.

As I said, I have not seen anyone do this, and it would definitely lower your Cub to the ground a little bit, but it would take care of the tire rutting problem, and you would have your original tires/rims for other uses if you need them.

Anyway, just a suggestion.
Bill

Bill,

The fronts would work just fine, but the rears are very different. The centers are deeply dished and welded to the rims... too wide for most regular Cubs. They would fit, but would make the Cub about 16" wider than the narrowest setting. The reason is that the number series tractors are much narrower... they've eliminated the right axle tube to make the differential centered.

George Willer

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Lo Boy Tires

Postby gitractorman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:43 am

George,
I agree, and understand completely about the difference in the rear axle setup. I was even thinking of the really wide turf tires like was on many of the numbered lo-boys (154, 185, 184). You have to admit, if you are running a 60" mower, then a cub would look really neat set up with the really wide tires. It would be very stable, even on slopes. The tires should go out almost to the edge of the mower deck. I have been looking all morning at pictures, and It does not appear that these floatation tires are much less in diameter than the normal Cub ag style tires, so they may not even lower the tractor much at all. Most of the lower height on the Lo-boys came from the drop axles being rotated 90 degrees, and the front spindles being shortened. I may have to find a set of tires/rims and give this a try, if nothing else, just for fun. Where I live is all clay and flat, so my property is under water for about 1/2 of the year with 6" of standing water. There is just no place for it to drain, so in the spring I cannot even take my Cub off of the driveway.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:45 am

Rick, Buc has a temporary set off of an early 50's Simplicity mower.(rear) Put these on while putting new tires on my rims. The front end sets a little higher than origional but steers great and does not tear up the lawn.Image
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby sviennadan » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:57 am

Hey Grumpy,

Whatcha hidin' under that tarp to the right in the above pic? Looks interesting.....
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

I know

Postby allenlook » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:03 pm

I know what it is... It's just like the pictures in Car & Driver where they sneak photos of the next year's models being tested with cover plates and stuff on them... That's a CUB being disguised from the BD Locator Beacon!
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Lo Boy Tires

Postby George Willer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:16 pm

gitractorman wrote:George,
I agree, and understand completely about the difference in the rear axle setup. I was even thinking of the really wide turf tires like was on many of the numbered lo-boys (154, 185, 184). You have to admit, if you are running a 60" mower, then a cub would look really neat set up with the really wide tires. It would be very stable, even on slopes. The tires should go out almost to the edge of the mower deck. I have been looking all morning at pictures, and It does not appear that these floatation tires are much less in diameter than the normal Cub ag style tires, so they may not even lower the tractor much at all. Most of the lower height on the Lo-boys came from the drop axles being rotated 90 degrees, and the front spindles being shortened. I may have to find a set of tires/rims and give this a try, if nothing else, just for fun. Where I live is all clay and flat, so my property is under water for about 1/2 of the year with 6" of standing water. There is just no place for it to drain, so in the spring I cannot even take my Cub off of the driveway.

I totally agree... well almost totally. I do think the number series wheels on a regular Cub would be too wide. I checked it out, and even the 8.3 x 24s would result on an outside width of 66". The fat do-nuts would be even wider. If that's not a problem... it's not a problem, but I wouldn't like it. The outside diameter is so close you'd never notice a difference.

I live on a sand knob that is a remnant of an ancient lake shore and never have a tracking problem with ag tires. It's only muddy when the surface thaws and there is still frost in the ground.

My grandson is able to tear it up with the ZTR, but I never had a problem with marking when I was able to mow with my 9N/belly mower with ag tires all around.
George Willer

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Looks just like my shop, projects and left over parts from previous projects.

Lawn tractor 12 inch flotation rear tires. I measured up a set of rims from a John Deere 210 and a set from a Cub Cadet 105. Hub hole and bolt patterns are the same as the Cub's front hubs. One set, from the Cub 105, has a deep offset and would definitely work on the Cub's front axle. The second set has a shallower off set. This set would have to be mounted to see if they would work.

Eugene

Return to “Farmall Cub”