This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Abrasives for sandblasting

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dracer398
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48706

Abrasives for sandblasting

Postby dracer398 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:51 pm

Countershaft,

You have to take in consideration what you are blasting too. The heavy castings can handle the sand, glass beads, and aluminum oxide.

But if you plan on blasting the sheet metal, I would recommend plastic blasting media.

The reason being is that the blasting medias like sand and such create heat and can peen the metal which causes warpage. Just something to think about...

Brian
1951 Farmall Cub, 1979 International 184 with a 1050A Loader (Thanks JP Tractor salvage), 1945 Farmall H, 1934 & 1935 F-12's

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Fortune cookie

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:04 pm

DRacer,

I like your signature line! :)

Last week I opened a fortune cookie, and it said - "Phew! I thought I'd never get out of that cookie!"
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sales

Postby countershaft » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Central Tractor Supply sells , alum oxide, black diamond and masons sand in 50# bags. $ 5.00, except for the alum . oxide Seems reasonable enough . I plan to spray "outside" and whether I recover the media or not , well we will see. It's the silica that you have to be carefull of , plus the paint and rust residue. Like Rudi suggests , I believe I'll try the mason's sand first .
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 pm

I think I would try sandbox sand before mason's sand with the idea it flows better .... doesn't it? Mason sand seems like it would be too fine.

One more thing, if your concerned about "silicosis" ..... remember, sand is a major contributor to that. Protect/filter the air you breathe while blasting ...........
Ron

Russell F
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38370

Postby Russell F » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:09 pm

I learned the hard way about sheet metal warping when blasting. When i hired in as a apprentice mechanic at the outfit i'm still with, i had a old tool box i wanted to blast and repaint. We have a large (20x30) blasting room with grate floors and automatic grit reclaiming, recycling, etc... as you would expect in a large manufactering facility, complete with a pressurized air conditioned breathing hood. The media this machine uses is a heavy steel shot, looks like sand sized BB's, and can be slippery like marbels on smooth concrete. IT's heavy stuff. The blasting hose on this outfit is a 2" hose similar to a gasoline hose, the knozzle has a 1 1/4" hole, this thing means buisness. Well being the amature i was i suited up and rolled my tool box into the booth, locked it down and proceded to blast. It wiped the paint off that box like leaves off a driveway.... I blasted the box clean, shut down the machine and rolled it out. All seemed fine till i got a closer look at the box, it had bulged the front and sides, and made the door nearly impossible to open. It took me a good 2 hours with a hammer and mallet to straigten the box out enough to open, and another 2 to make it presentable. But man did that box look good when painted!!

So the moral of the story?? Heavy steel shot media and 18ga sheet metal don't mix well...

As for home blasting i use the medium grade sand from Lowes or Home Depot. I don't do much at home anymore, usually take it to work and use either the bead blaster or smaller grit blasters. Got permission to blast the whole cub in the large blaster this spring if i want too....but ain't got the guts...i doubt i could ever button up the cub enough to be safe in that rig.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oh! Oh!

Postby countershaft » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 pm

After reading all these (very good) posts, I'm almost afraid to try it . There seems to be so---- much you need to know, it sure isn't a simple process. Experience will be the best teacher. I'm leaning towards the TSC's black diamond media. It's ground slag, fine as sand with minimal silica content. For $5 @50# bag , not too expensive to give a try . thanks all
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:30 pm

Be sure to read the manual for your sandblaster regarding the grade of material to use. Many of them such as the 40 pound pressuruzed Harbor FReight unit will only hnadle very fine sand. Medium grade will plug the nozzles
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

george
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby george » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:46 pm

I have also used Black Beauty, whch comes in several grits. It removes the scale from hot rolled steel easily, and is inert. A fine product that will go to bare metal with little effort.
George

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:11 am

I use Black Beauty, like Carm and George mentioned. I buy it at the local brick, block, and concrete store for about $9.00/100#. I'm usually in a hurry and don't want to waste alot of time and material, so I just lay down a big tarp, get in close for the heavy rust and paint areas, and hold back farther for the sheet metal and somewhat mist it across and everything has come out fine, so far. A person would really have to stay in one place for a long time to get warpage, at least I haven't experienced any, and with Black Beauty, it turns your blaster into an "ANIMAL". I do all my outside blasting out front of the garage. I have a stone driveway edged with railroad ties. I usually lay all my parts against the ties, and blast away. Any sand that flies off the tarp travels out into the grass or in the stones and dissappears, and there's no cleanup afterwards. I just shovel up the sand on the tarp and pour it through a screen(with holes smaller than the nozzel) and into a 5 gallon bucket and dump it back into the blaster. I wear a full hood and gloves. Black Beauty hurts on bare skin :D , Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sounds awful practical

Postby countershaft » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:10 am

to me B & M . Guess you can get plenty complicated according to some posts, you seem to have it worked out to be a simple process. I appreciate it. Just almost what I'm gonna do, driveway and all . Is the "black" media slag or coal ? thanks

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:42 am

A friend had an old semi trailer body he could drive a tractor inside. It had to be very tight quarters, but he could recycle ALL the media.

Barney is named after him, but his name was really Cyril. I can't imagine a tractor named Cyril. :) He was the former owner of my Case SC.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:42 pm

all this talk about blasting, made want one, had to get one anyway. this is what i picked up today. works pretty well.
http://ruralking.com/rko/cart.cgi?PRODU ... 604020lhFw

Return to “Farmall Cub”