This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need suggestion about broken front axle.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave F
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need suggestion about broken front axle.

Postby Dave F » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:05 pm

In the process of cleaning up and repainting my 64 Lowboy I just encountered a problem. The front welded on stub where the axle pivot pin goes through is broken off the axle and frozen to the pin. I guess the previous owner didnt grease it a whole lot. I was thinking of heating the broken off stub and trying to tap the pin through it. Anybody have any other suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bamacub » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:06 pm

You should be able to fit it back in place, clean the old weld off & weld it back in place. The heat from welding should expand it enough to tap the pin out. There is two bushings the pin rides in that can be replaced. I have two cubs that I have restored, both had to have the tube welded where it was broken.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:18 pm

Er, what tab are we talking about? I can't picture it. Not that THAT's a first :?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:22 pm

Dave you can either take Bamacub's suggestion or go ahead and heat the stub and drive the pin out but when you are ready to re-weld the stub, you will want the pin (or reasonable facsimile) in place to assure correct alignment of the stub.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Pin

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Are we talking about the alignment pin here, or the axle pivot pin?
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:33 pm

Axle pivot pin according to his post Allen.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Ah

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:43 pm

Ah, you're talking about using the pin to align the broken stub for re-welding... Gotcha.

Dave F
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:31 am

Thanks guys, I didnt realize it had replaceable bushings, I think I can manage the repair ok. Maybe an extra grease fitting on the front stub wouldnt be a bad idea either.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:19 am

Dave F wrote:Thanks guys, I didnt realize it had replaceable bushings, I think I can manage the repair ok. Maybe an extra grease fitting on the front stub wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Dave,

I have an extra center section you can have. It has historic value and the patina to go with it... it's Scruffy's original. The spindles were all boogered up and had reinforcing added, so I changed it. The center is fine, but the holes for the pins are wallowed a little from running with the clamps loose. Nothing is too good for Scruffy!

Those bushings are 1" OD x 7/8" ID x 1" long.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Dave F
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave F » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks for the offer George, I'll keep that in mind in case mine gets trashed in the repair process.

Return to “Farmall Cub”