This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub carb rebuild...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tractorfan1
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub carb rebuild...

Postby tractorfan1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:12 pm

I bought a carb kit for my 48 cub, Im no mechanic so I would like to know how involved it is to clean and rebuild the carb, or should I have a mechanic look at it?
Brett (aka Tractorfan1)
http://tractorfan1.tripod.com
1947 Cub, 1948 Cub, 1948 H, 1952 Super M, 1966 806, 1983 Cub Cadet 182, 1974 Cub Cadet 76. Looking for a 1206!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:23 pm

You may be able to find something here (click on it) .............
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... echniques/ Then click on "Lurker Carl's Carb Fixes" .... :)
Last edited by Ron L on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Hopefully this link will work:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J16342D9C
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks, BD ... :cry:
Ron

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Carbs

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:31 pm

The carbs are not impossible to do, but I still have not flattened one to my own satisfaction yet. I have flattened them enough to work WAY better than they were originally, but I am a picky #$@!.

I just did two of them myself, for the first time, and the only problems left that are really related to operation of the carb and not my own picayune disposition is the stripped threads at the fuel inlet. The JB Weld didn't hold for squat, and trying the all-out JB Weld and then tap fix also didn't work, so I want to Heli-Coil them both.

My way of working around the mostly stripped threads on the carb I am currently using was to take a normal brass compression ferrule and hold it against my sanding machine until it was only 10% of its original depth, basically a little "V" wedge instead of a big toroidal donut. This allowed the compression nut to extend way into the carb and engage more of the threads than otherwise, and it's working great.

I did a few stupid things like trying to straighten a bent idle downtube (that long skinny brass tube that extends down from the carb's top) and I broke it off. It cost me $18 for a new one. These break off so often that I am bound and determined to figure out how to fix it by soldering and re-drilling the hole. Did I mention I am a picky #@$!?

Anyway, it is certainly not beyond your abilities. It was not beyond my abilities either, but it was almost beyond my patience threshold :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:32 pm

Ron - Just a quick note:

The bulletin board software doesn't like many of Rudi's links. At least, not since the latest upgrade.
The makeashorterlink website is quick and easy to use and works quite well.
I have beat my head against the wall many times trying to get a complex link to work, but this makes it easy.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

TinyURL

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:42 pm

BD,

TinyURL is another good one :D

Me and Rudi are cooking up a surprise for y'all. Stay tuned.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:58 pm

TF1:

Look at it this way... If I can rebuild a carb then absolutely ANYBODY can... It really isn't that hard. And Ifn I had access to Lurker Carl's Carb Fixes, it would have been even simpler.

As EZ says : Just Do IT :!: :D

It is pretty easy, and if you end up with a problem, give me a phone call... sure will be an easy tech support call... unlike a lot of the computer tech support calls I get...... :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”