This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spark plug wires copper core v. auto

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

spark plug wires copper core v. auto

Postby Clem » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm

Why is it suggested to use copper core wires instead of the automotive style designed wires? Do people use automotive wires? If so what kind and size?[/b]

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 pm

Automotive wires are designed for noise suppression in high energy ignition systems. They utilize a carbon core rather than metallic wire to conduct the energy to the plugs. That is fine for the high-E systems. The old style ignition systems, especially magneto systems do not match well to the wires and there is energy loss. Unless you are planning on adding an AM-FM radio with a handy-dandy 8 track player to your cub, you don't need them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 pm

8 track, BD? to be correct a cub would have to come with a wire recorder, a little later, reel to reel, and for the late ones, possibly a 4 track. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:30 pm

Heck no! My '76 would feel right at home with the 8 track, some shag carpet on the foot pan and a loud rendition of "Play that Funky Music White Boy."

RustyVT
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RustyVT » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:47 pm

I should add that if you have any problems finding copper core wires in an auto parts store favoring the "new" style, the local motorcycle place will carry it by the foot. I have a spool I bought a few years back that I use on tractors, mowers, chain saws, generators, motorcycles, boats, etc. There's always some piece of junk needing a new wire!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Plug wires

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:19 pm

I use the "4-Cylinder Universal" plug wire kit from NAPA. They seem to work OK, but then I have a generator, not a magneto.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm

Allen wrote:

I use the "4-Cylinder Universal" plug wire kit from NAPA. They seem to work OK, but then I have a generator, not a magneto.

Rudi writes:

I use the "4 Cylinder Universal" plug wire kit from CaseIH. They work extremely well, and I have a magneto. Reason I get em from CaseIH is cause my NAPA counter guy is an idiot :roll: :shock: :? shhhhhh :!: :lol: and doesn't understand why I would need/want or why he should sell me Copper core wire..... :?: :roll: :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 pm

I have a set of headphones with an FM radio built in, they are made for landscapers, they are not useable on the Cub.
I can use them around all kinds of other equipment with no interference, but near the Cub, no way.
I have a distributer ignition, I may have to try some carbon wires.

Larry in IN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46750
Tractors Owned: '59 cub running
'48 'H' running?
'54 '400' project
'67 806' project
?? '706' project
'70' 826G Hydro 'every day power! 1 of 14
'71' MM G1050 - Big iron
'51' JD 'R' project
'61 JD 3010 project
'48 Allis 'G'
'??' F-12 my son's

Postby Larry in IN » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:58 pm

John,
As usual, you are probably the cause of the problem -
I'm sure :shock: the young merchant in question was thoroughly schooled in "the customer is always right" :lol: :lol: Yeah, Right :!: :!: :?:
The whole problem is: you don't look enuff like a customer :!:
Out of curiosity, how young is this 'merchant'?

Any time I see wet ears behind a parts counter, I proceed with great caution. :wink: Time will reveal whether the one on the other side is wise enough to waste instructional time on. :roll:
One of the few advantages of growing older is that I finally realized that I haven't made ALL the stupid mistakes! Yet!

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Dad

Postby allenlook » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:00 pm

I could always tell when Dad was coming home from a day in the woods, the TV would start crackling whenever the Ford 8N got within several hundred yards of the house, and get louder the closer the tractor got :D
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:02 pm

I carry the copper core wires I believe you must cut them to size and install the one end but you usally get enough to do two cubs . LOL
A 4 cyl set is $10.00 + shipping.
JON

denton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Farmall Cub
1951 Ford 8N
1953 Allis CA (not running)
1996 Kubota M4700

Postby denton » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:32 am

Dave (69 lo-boy) wrote:I have a set of headphones with an FM radio built in, they are made for landscapers, they are not useable on the Cub.
I can use them around all kinds of other equipment with no interference, but near the Cub, no way.
I have a distributer ignition, I may have to try some carbon wires.

I use a set of "Work Tunes" by Peltor while I am mowing on the Cub. They suppress so much sound I can't hear the tractor running at all. I mean they work well. Only problem is the radio feedback from the distributor/wires. I have gotten used to the little buzz and it actually goes away after a while. I think my brain actually filters it out. One thing for certain though I can tell when the tractor is missing or not running well better with the headset on.

Return to “Farmall Cub”