This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ignition Switch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ignition Switch

Postby sviennadan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:40 pm

I've been having a problem recently with the "Ignition Switch", for lack of a better term. The one you pull out to connect the battery to the engine before pulling the starter rod. It has gotten more and more difficult to pull out. What kind of lube would be appropriate? I haven't checked the back side, and I don't want to short anything out.
All this proves is that one gnome pounding on the keyboard for years still will not produce the works of Shakespeare.
No animals were hurt in the rending of this page, but 18 queries were mangled in about 3.874 seconds.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Dan, use a good silicone spray lube. If you have some WD 40 or spray Kroil it will work also.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:57 pm

be careful , my 1960 cubs P.O. must have had the same problem and just kept pullin on it . when i got it and pulled it out to try and start it , it pulled straight out to reveal a broken middle rod piece . i would like to fix that switch since they are so expensive . i already replaced it with another one but still need one more so that i have a correct switch for the lo-boy .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:46 am

I noticed that their is lot of crud bulding up around shaft of my swich. Its probally just dirt and dust but with the cold weather its pretty hard to pull too. I am planing on trying to was it out with contact cleaner. Then I'll do as bigdog says.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:39 am

It's been a long time since I had one of them apart. But as I recall, there is a felt sealing ring on the stem. A lubricant that will soak into the felt would probably be good. WD-40 will do that. I might follow the WD-40 with a coating of Lubriplate as it will cling to the stem. Rotate the stem while turning it on and off a few times to get some of it distributed around the seal.

I suppose the felt ring may have been upgraded to something else over the 25 or so years that style switch was used.

Return to “Farmall Cub”