This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rebuilding quandry

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Rebuilding quandry

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:30 pm

I bought one of the late model LoBoys- really sad shape. It runs, not well. The transmission is terribly noisy. Someone else posted about a noisy transmission today. My usual practice is to get the fuel system and the electrical system in top shape first, then evaluate the mechanical condition of the engine while it is running. One of my Cubs barely ran when I bought it, but after the fuel and electrical rebuild, it is the best running Cub I have ever driven. That is not to say that it is necessarily the best running Cub ever. But I fear that running the engine on the LoBoy now might do additional damage the transmisson. Since I am personally committed to rebuilding this tractor, I probably will start with all the parts rearward of the engine, rebuild them first, then determine if engine rebuild is needed. But that would mean removing the engine, repairing the drivetrain as necessary and reinstalling the engine with the possibility of having to remove it again for rebuilding. Once on a 1952 Chevy, still in the 1950's, I kept driving after the transmission started making a noise. The transmission was totally destroyed within 2 miles. So I take transmission noise seriously. Do you have a sequence of repair to suggest?
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:52 pm

I'd start by taking the cover off the transmission and giving it a look over. Just from the top you should get a fair idea of what it will require, and if running it a little is likely to do serious damage. Remember that all that turns in neutral is the top shaft. Runing the engine without driving it around is unlikely to bother anything except the top shaft bearings.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Speed

Postby allenlook » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:08 pm

The tranny on your Cub is turning a lot slower than the tranny on your car was. Although it's not impossible to do it further damage, I don't think the chances are as high as they were on your car.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

bald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31569
Tractors Owned: 66 IH Cub w/fasthitch and 41 JD LA

Postby bald » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 pm

Bus Driver, If you're absolutely sure you going to have to split the tractor, it would make sense to do a compression check on the motor and drop the pan to check out the bottom end. That way you should know whether you need to do significant motor work and could do it when you've already splitting the tractor apart...just an idea.
bald, Southeast Georgia
Another wonderful day in paradise.
'66 IH Cub w/fast hitch and '41 JD LA

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ralph » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:08 pm

Bus driver
you said it was a late model lo-boy is it a numbered
like a 154 185 or 184
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:30 am

Bus Driver,

Welcome to the greatest forum on the Web.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:08 am

All of the above is excellent advise.... try a SEARCH on transmission and you will find a lot of your answers there too.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”