This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering Knuckle Arm Removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Allen:

How much TSP did you put in the tank?????
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

TSP

Postby allenlook » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:36 pm

A *bunch*, and I got lots of bubble action - took every shred of paint off the axles, but they are welded together but GOOD :( Or, but BAD :( However you say that so it means that they are "firmly mated."
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45011
Tractors Owned: 1960 Loboy
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Well, mine are bubbling like mad at about 6 amps... I guess now comes the hard part, waiting. So it this something I should run for 3 days or so and then check?
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Lance, if they are real rusty watch your ammeter. If the current flow drops you may need to pull the anodes and clean them. You will be surprised at how quickly it removes the rust.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:27 pm

Hi Lance,

I along with several others have had very good success using the Electrolysis Vat. I usually leave the entire front axle in the Vat for
about 3-5 days. Take it out and let it dry. Then I pour Kroil [penetrating]
oil in the outer tube, just enought to start running down the tube and
do this for about 2-3 days. Then instead of trying to drive/pull the inner
tube out, I start by rotating the inner tube. This helps to break up the
rust that has been detatched from the base metal and with the adjustment
holes some of the rust will actually be removed and be cut out by the
adjustment holes.

OH, YES, when you put in the Electrolysis vat be sure
to connect all three parts with jumper wire in order for them all to be
at the same potential. This will help detatch the rust also. I also do
this on any part that has multiple parts held together by bolts or screws.
Rust can become a very high resistant insulator.

Hope this helps.

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:24 pm

I was surprised that it was below 2 amps this morning. Got the angle grinder out and got the anode all nice and shiny again. It looks like it is going to remove all of the paint on my axles as well. I think the PO just painted over everything to make the tractor shiny for sale. Well, back up to 6 amps for the moment. Is that about normal, should I be aiming for even more?

Russ - Thanks for the tip about the jumper wires. I had my (-) going to just to center axle and did notice a change in bubble location when I ran two jumpers out to the ends.
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Lance, as long as you are drawing any current at all it is working. 6 amps is a nice working tank. Current draw will depend on the surface area of the item, the anode and the distance between them. Moving the item closer to the anode will increase the amperage. Interestingly enough, the solution does not lose strength as it ages. It will become dirty and you may have sediment buildup on the bottom of your tank. The sediment will decrease the efficiency of the tank and you will need to clean it periodically.
Bigdog

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:17 pm

I thought you guys might get a laugh out of my really cheap tank, so here it is. Now, if I can just figure out how to move it...

http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1509
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:20 pm

Lance:

Cool :!: I take it the tank is one of them inexpensive rolly thingys judging by the red objects I take to be little wheels. Hey, if it does the job then it is the right tool for the right job :!:

Yeah, Russ has a point. I added extra leads when doing the one axle and it did improve a lot. You will be surprised at how often you may have to clean your re-bar rods. I usually have to clean mine at least every day and sometimes ever 6 or 8 hours depending on how much rust is on the part...

When you ampmeter goes below 4 amps, it is time to think about cleaning the rods...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill Blansett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:44 pm

Allen, You must have the twin to an Ixle that I finally got the last side out today. So help me I had soaked and doctored this thing since last summer. this last side was really rusted in. Heat did not work either. Today I decided that something was going to give. The steering arms had been welded anyway, so I hung it in a big vise and laid into it with a large sledge hammer. I figured I would destroy the spindle, but it finally moved one hole. That was encouragement enough to keep pounding. It finally surrendered and came apart. Surprisingly, even though I flattened the spindle a little, the spindle was still free and turned OK. I put this spindle on an axle that had also been welded.

I don't necessarily recommend using this method, but it was the last resort. Hope to never encounter another one of these this tight. By the way, I use a cone brush (not the twisted type) on a spade bit extension to remove the rust in the tube, clean the inner extension, and then re assemble using Permatex brand silver anti-seize. May help someone fifty years from now. Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck. Bill

Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill Blansett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Apologies to Allen and Lance. That prior post should have been addressed to Lance. I reckon I can make the same mistake twice as I re read the thing prior to posting and now see I didn't even spell Axle correctly. Getting sloppy in my seventieth year. Bill

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:40 am

Bill, if you click on the little edit button at the top right of your post you can go back and correct mistakes after posting. Believe me, I use it a lot!
Bigdog

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:40 am

Lance Leitzel wrote:I thought you guys might get a laugh out of my really cheap tank, so here it is. Now, if I can just figure out how to move it...

http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1509

Lance,

Yours looks like the deluxe version... it has wheels! Mine is just a simple storage tub 19"L x 16"W x 14"D. My anode is a road kill wheel cover. :shock: What's really important is how well it works. :D :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lance Leitzel
10+ Years
10+ Years
1974 154 Loboy
1968 72 Cub Cadet

Postby Lance Leitzel » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 am

Hi Rudi - You are right, it is one of those cheap underbed rolly things. $9.99 was the right price for me. Thankfully, when my house was built, they left a bunch of re-bar laying around. I stuck it in a PVC pipe outside and forgot about it until this project. I've been using my angle grinder to get back to shiny metal each time I refresh the re-bar. I added a second anode to the other side of the axle. It still amazes me how fast the resistance is increased enough to drop me back to the 2-4 amp range. Well, keep your fingers crossed, I'm going to replace the fluid and do my first look over my progress.

Bill - I wouldn't worry, I'm sloppy already and only half your age. :)

Thanks for every ones help and suggestions on this. I have to admit I was thinking about giving up and trying to find (& buy) an axle that was already "fixed." This is much more fun. Besides, I'm really hopeful that this might be the magic project that doesn't end up costing $$$, my wife already cringes whenever I say "I'm off to work on the tractor."
Ego diligo meus tracti.
(I love my tractors)

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:07 am

Thanks for every ones help and suggestions on this. I have to admit I was thinking about giving up and trying to find (& buy) an axle that was already "fixed." This is much more fun. Besides, I'm really hopeful that this might be the magic project that doesn't end up costing $$$, my wife already cringes whenever I say "I'm off to work on the tractor."

Lance,

Maybe this idea will help. This axle is from my '58 Lo-Boy, Shorty. It's VERY important to use two jacks and they have to be pushing evenly to prevent binding.

Image[/quote]
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Farmall Cub”