This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Valve Job?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
leed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Valve Job?

Postby leed » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:08 pm

What would you guys say is a good price for a valve job including having seats cut in for exhaust inserts?
LeeD
'48FCUB#26852

Bill Blansett
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bill Blansett » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:32 pm

Lee, I think your question needs a little more information on the price. Are you delivering a complete tractor for someone else to tear down? delivering just the engine? Head off? ETC. ETC More work , more cost simple as that. I doubt that you could find a reputable mechanic that would start from scratch and do a valve job, (no guides), (no Inserts) for less than $200.00. I wouldn't. Too many unknowns. Very high probability of broken headbolts and they can consume a lot of time to remove. I can't recommend cutting and installing exhaust valve inserts, as I haven't ever had that done. Maybe others have. Bill

leed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby leed » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:39 pm

Thanks Bill,

I delivered the engine with the head removed. I think that everything is in pretty good shape except for the pitting around the exhaust valves.
LeeD

'48FCUB#26852

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Lee,

Cutting seats is something I can't do, so I've had a machine shop do it on several engines. Memory can be unreliable sometimes, but I think it cost around $15 per seat. In many cases it also required new guides which cost about the same.

I grind and lap my own valves, so I figure about $120 for outside valve work.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:24 pm

$250.00 to have the exhaust valve seats (3) removed and 4 new ones installed. This was on an Allis head that had one dropped exhaust valve seat. This was for the labor and 4 new valve seats and all 8 seats ground.

Eugene