ROPS Info

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

ROPS Info

Postby Super A » Fri May 12, 2006 10:41 am

Guys, based on the thread below, I did a quick Google search during lunchtime and found this:

National AG Safety Database - Cub Roll-over

Pretty sobering stuff. I haven't had much time for digging but it looks like there are some certified ROPS retrofits out there for other tractors, but not the Cub.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri May 12, 2006 11:11 am

Thanks Al. That was an interesting, but sad article, with alot of good points to think about.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 12, 2006 11:48 am

so is there an application for ROPS on the Cub?
Chad
'54 Cub

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Fri May 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Stan's Cub wrote:so is there an application for ROPS on the Cub?

Based on the article, no. Do a Google search for ROPS. There are some companies out there that offer tested, aftermarket ROPS for some older tractors but I don't see anything on the Cub.

I want to study this some more, but my gut tells me that the chassis of a Cub won't stand a ROPS reliably. If you've ever seen am overturned, ROPS tractor, the ROPS is usually bent up pretty good but it stills does the job of protecting the operator. I think that if a ROPS-equipped Cub rolled over, the tractor chassis would fail. That said, I DID find a vendor that sells a ROPS for a Farmall 140, in fact I have seen IH literature with ROPS installed on late model 140's from the factory.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 12, 2006 12:14 pm

I haven't found anything yet either...keep us posted. looks like we are gonna have to rely on common sense in lieu of the ROPS.
Chad

'54 Cub

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri May 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Fellas, this has been discussed often in the past. As pointed out, the cub was built long before consideration about a ROPS was deemed necessary. With that in mind, adding one that would provide real protection would take some pretty serious engineering. If it is possible at all.
In fact, the addition of one to a cub used for normal tasks could end up compromising the strength already designed into the cub.
At the time of the manufacturing of cubs, users were deemed to have a reasonable amount of common sense. And, they were expected to use it. Today, we try to idiot-proof everything so that when someone buys and abuses a piece of equipment, the manufacturer will not be held accountable.
If you search the archives, you will find several posts on the topic .
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 12, 2006 12:45 pm

how long before they install ROPS on ATV's? I wear a skateboarding helmet when operating my ATV, otherwise the kids give me a hard time, gotta set and example no matter how slow I go. it's all about using your head, just not as landing gear!
Chad

'54 Cub

Stan's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Stan's Cub » Fri May 12, 2006 12:53 pm

Chad

'54 Cub

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri May 12, 2006 3:39 pm

Bigdog wrote:At the time of the manufacturing of cubs, users were deemed to have a reasonable amount of common sense. And, they were expected to use it. Today, we try to idiot-proof everything...

I agree with you Big Dog on this one. The problem with trying to idiot-proof everything is that it actually MANUFACTURES idiots some time. The Cub typically does a great job of providing the operator with a level of "intuitive" feedback as to when it is unstable.

I know that sounds harsh, but common sense must rule...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri May 12, 2006 3:50 pm

I think for the best of all those on this site and those that just visit, maybe we should take the advise of Bigdog and others and scrap the idea of any ROPS on Cubs. Undoubtedly, there will be that one individual who tries this at home, after getting the ideas from my pics, and installs a similar looking unit and gets hurt. I wouldn't want to feel responsible in any way for that. My unit is unique because it is welded to the sub-frame of the backhoe, and not attached to the castings directly.

Thanks Bigdog and the others. I know you are just looking out for those who could become hurt somehow.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

1stCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

common sense

Postby 1stCub » Fri May 12, 2006 4:49 pm

I always believed the best ROP was good old common sense. If it looks steap stay off it. If the hill side is wet stay off it, ect. It's suprising what a little common sense will do.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri May 12, 2006 5:39 pm

That write up is interesting and does bring up some good points. Sure does sound like he had a medical problem and was in a hurry to get to help, doing things he normally wouldn't.

I agree that ROPS is no reason to ignore common sense, and it is pretty unreasonable to add one to a Cub. Tractors, especially of the Cubs vintage didn't have the extreme level of safety interlocks and features that are around today.... if they did you couldn't start it with a crank (no neutral safety switch, no weight on the seat = no start). A good example is my little car won't start unless the clutch is pushed in, so even with a manual trans. I can't push start it! Like those danged alarms, just one more thing to cause problems and troubleshoot when something doesn't run!

Although I am not a farmer, I am scared of any tractor on a hill side, especially along the slope, A Cub is even trickier because it is offset and 'tall' so the center of gravity isn't quite as obvious as a 'regular' tractor.

The other good thing to remember is not to pull or drag stuff by anything but the drawbar, even then if it fetches up there is a possibility the rear axles become the pivot point but much less likely if you are using the drawbar.

Be safe out there boys and girls! THINK!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Fri May 12, 2006 5:41 pm

Bigdog wrote:Fellas, this has been discussed often in the past. As pointed out, the cub was built long before consideration about a ROPS was deemed necessary. With that in mind, adding one that would provide real protection would take some pretty serious engineering. If it is possible at all.
In fact, the addition of one to a cub used for normal tasks could end up compromising the strength already designed into the cub.
At the time of the manufacturing of cubs, users were deemed to have a reasonable amount of common sense. And, they were expected to use it. Today, we try to idiot-proof everything so that when someone buys and abuses a piece of equipment, the manufacturer will not be held accountable.
If you search the archives, you will find several posts on the topic .

Well said. This is the gist of the point I have made in the past.....just because you see a little Kubota somewhere with a ROPS is no reason a Cub can handle one. It simply wasn't designed for it.

As with any equipment, you simply must use common sense when operating it if you intend to stay safe. Even one momentary lapse can be disasterous.

Al

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri May 12, 2006 7:38 pm

Guys:

I think we have gotten a little out of context with the intent of my posts on Rick's ROPS setup...

in the first offering .. I kind of stated how I felt about ROPS on a CUB....

For ROPS protection the greatest safety feature we have as Cubbers is what is between our ears and using that effectively. Couple rules of thumb..
    1. If it don't feel safe -- DON'T DO IT
    2. If in Doubt -- Re-Read Rule #1.
    3. Never place your Cub and yourself in a position where a roll-over is even possible never mind probable. If a roll-over is a probable outcome of what you are attempting to do -- leave it to a professional..
    4. If you install a ROPS on your CUB.. DO NOT become Complacent... Your attention MUST ALWAYS be on what you are doing..
If all that is observed.. then ROPS becomes more of a cosmetic appliance and NOT a primary safety feature. Whatever extra level of safety a ROPS may provide is an added bonus.. it is not a guarantee...

And this is what I wanted the ROPS for:

For you, it looked good.. for me it would be a means to provide a far better mount for my SMV and Ambler light brackets and would provide a much better ground.

I thought this pretty much simplified the ROPS debate as a Protective Measure coupled with the above statement....

Now, without opening up the ROPS can of worms.. we all know that the Cub was never designed for a ROPS system as they just were not available at that time nor where they even designed..... and that applies to pretty much ALL tractors prior to a given date depending on what Country/Province/State/Municipality you live in and what those ordinances are.

I sort of misjudged that can of worms thing I think.

Either way.. I do not endorse nor would I even consider using ROPS to mitigate unsafe operating practices, but the point of my post was to address the fact that I have ground issues and this would certainly solve it for ME....

I think Bill [rustynuts] understood and agreed with the thought.

I hope that clears things up :!: :idea: :arrow: :shock: :? 8) :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship