This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie paintjob question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Davesaver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Davesaver » Mon May 22, 2006 3:38 pm

You'll want to clean it as much as possible. Definetly want to primer bare metal areas. Can use primer sealer on painted areas some are none sanding sealers. You'll want to scuff sand regular primered areas with 320 grit sandpaper before you apply your color coat. To use hardner or not is an old argument. Almost all automotive finishes use hardner these days. Dupont bought out Nason I'm not sure today what the formula is. When I was in the industry Nason was a synthetic enamel with some acrylic added. Cubs did not come out of the factory with paint using hardner. Synthetic enamel with out hardner will come closest to the original finish. Acrylic enamel with the hardner will give you a very shiny finish if that is your desire. It also is more chemical and stain resistant. It is harder to blend in a spot repair on enamel with hardner than it is with no hardner but you have to make sure it is totally cured or it can blow up on you. Red is the fastest fading color there is. Avoidance of continuous direct sunlight is your only defence. You do not want to over thin your paint. Follow the instructions on the can. If it won't spray out of your gun correctly you may have too much air pressure, the wrong temperature of thinner or the tip on your gun may not be the correct size to atomize the paint correctly. You can't compensate by over thinning it will ruin the paint.

DaveL
Dave Saver ? Because I save everything. Just ask my wife.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

NEWBIE PAINT QUESTION

Postby LARRY BALL » Mon May 22, 2006 4:40 pm

BILL,
THIS WILL BE GETTING THE CART BEFORE THE HORSE. BUT WHEN YOU FINISH THE PAINT WORK ON YOUR CUB YOU WILL REALIZE THE SATISFACTION OF YOUR EFFORTS. I HAVEN'T COMPLETELY STRIPPED A TRACTOR FOR PAINTING. BUT I HAVE DONE THE GRILL,HOOD AND FENDERS AND SOME ACESSORIES OFF THE TRACTOR. SO WHAT I'M SAYING IS WHEN YOU FINISH YOU AS I WILL REALIZE WHAT A GREAT EFFORT IS PUT TOWARDS THESE LITTLE TRACTORS. BE IT MECHANICAL OR COSMETIC. IT GIVES A NEW APPRECIATION FOR WHAT THESE GUYS ON THIS FORUM CAN DO! I TIP MY HAT TO EM' ! THANKS FELLAS FOR YOUR HARD WORK!
LARRY BALL

Return to “Farmall Cub”