This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New tank working. Front rims

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

New tank working. Front rims

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat May 20, 2006 12:12 am

A couple of shots of the front rims.... These were quite a bit tougher than Rufus. But then again 21 years and wheel weights holding the dirt and moisture may account for some of the difference.

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat May 20, 2006 4:48 am

Bleccchhhhh!!!! (before) Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!! (after)
Last edited by Jeff M on Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat May 20, 2006 5:06 am

Teaching them how to swim cleans them up quite well.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Sat May 20, 2006 5:41 am

It does do a nice job :roll:
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

volksguy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby volksguy » Sat May 20, 2006 7:29 am

Hey Buzzard Wing- I think I understand the pictures and I read many of the Electrolysis tank threads but here is my questions

1st picture-is that before and after on the rims with just a rust converter on it?
2nd-How long was that rim in and is there only one electrode in that tank?

I just picked up a plastic barrel yesterday to try this!
Thanks

freebird
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby freebird » Sat May 20, 2006 1:24 pm

Now that I use my electroisys tank(s), I wonder how I ever got along without it. If it fits, it gets tanked!
Tell the truth, there's less to remember!

'52 standard cub
'56 lo-boy

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat May 20, 2006 11:30 pm

Volks, I had a 55 gallon drum but never got around to using it. I generally use a 5 (joint compound) or 15 gallon one, but the depth of the 55 gallon makes it much more useful, I needed it for the grille and seat.

The secrets are....
more iron is better, I am using 5 pieces of 5/8 (free) and 3//8 rebar (all they had at Lowes) connected with jumper cables or spring loaded clips
keep the rebar clean, wire brush often and run it through a bench grinder occasionally (after it drys)
good connections!!!!! a cup brush on the the part where it is 'connected' will help

I just use a 1 x 3 with a couple of eyes and some chain, S hooks and jumper between the two eyes or chains. (takes a while to get the rust off the chain too)

Do a search and look at Rudi's set up... lots of good info around here.

The wheel took about 4 days.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Sun May 21, 2006 5:45 am

Hey Larry...GREAT JOB :!: Where will your FAMOUS "Buzzard Wing" logo go on your NEW rims :?: :?: :lol:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun May 21, 2006 7:56 pm

Oh, Country... Sure wish the rims could talk! Bet they have some good stories of serious Vermont snowstorms and what not.

They were destined to be sandblasted, but the the weather wasn't cooperating, so I took em back. The most amperage by far of anything I have done. One of the front tie rods just took the rims place in the tank.

But I captured the perfect moment on the second rim.... it stayed still for the picture.

Got a pair of Ospreys nesting just across the street in a cell tower (yep in the 'big city') and I may need to change my name to 'Osprey Wing'. Makes it more enjoyable to run the rebar through the bench grinder in the yard when you can entertain the big honkin bird at at the same time.

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon May 22, 2006 4:30 am

NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT Larry :!: :!: :wink: Why that logo of your would even look neat on a chrome hubcap (about the same size or slightly larger). GREAT story about the Osprey...but you'll always be "buzzard Wing" to me :lol:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am

:P Good deal Larry looks fine :!: Looks like its time for me to get off my butt and get a tank going :?: This grinding and brushing is for the birds :!:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

subs1000w
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby subs1000w » Tue May 23, 2006 8:36 pm

looks good when i tryed the tank i made the best amps i could get to flow were about 6 is this about the norm or should i be able to get more for faster speed i was using 4 3/8 rebar in a 5gal bucket

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 23, 2006 8:49 pm

2 to 6 amps is normal
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Tue May 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Volksguy,

I have various sizes of Electrolysis vats from a five gal bucket to a 100 gallon fiberglass tank. I use old stainless steel pots or trays off a steam table and a piece of stainless 8 x 16x 1/4 and they all do a great job. The
larger the area of the annode the better. I have had one vat in continuous
operation for over a year with the 8 x 16 x 1/4 annode. I have to clean it about every month.

I have the annode connected with a No. 6 awg wire and hang it over the side of the vat and connect the positive lead from the battery charger to it.
This set up seems a lot easier for me, especially the size pieces I clean.
Such as half of a sicklebar mower, moldboard plow, rear rim, 3-4 front rims , etc. With the single annode you have only one connection to worry
about. On the larger pieces I run 3-4 straps using No. 10 awg wire to various places on the piece. For some reason this seems to give a more
uniform cleaning. I have had over 200 lbs of metal in the vat at one time
and it pulled about 6 amps. I have also found that 2-3 amps takes a little
longer but does a better job on smaller pieces.

This is to give you another idea as to how the same task can be performed.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Larry:

It is so nice to see your rims turning out like mine did. I remember how I felt when I first saw them as they came out of my Electrolysis Tank. WOW is what I remember and I was pretty tickled...

I am glad that you share the feeling :!: :arrow: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Billy, yup the tank sure beats a grinder and a wire wheel... much, much easier.. but don't put away the 4" grinder... you will need a twisted wire cup brush to get rid of the last remnants.

I clean my re-bar every day.. every 8 hours if I have the time. When I have clean re-bar with good connections and the chain is also cleaned well with no corrosion to interfer with the current, I can have a steady 8 amps for about 30% of the 8 hour period.. and then the value does deteriorate as the re-bar gets gunk built up on it.. but it very seldom goes below 2 or 3 amps which is sufficient. It just takes a while longer. A tad bit stronger electrolyte will overcome that little problem.

Russ wrote:

I have various sizes of Electrolysis vats from a five gal bucket to a 100 gallon fiberglass tank. I use old stainless steel pots or trays off a steam table and a piece of stainless 8 x 16x 1/4 and they all do a great job.

Russ, I am getting the replacement parts for Jethro back in the next little bit, and I am going to stick em in the tank. Torque tube, rear drop axles and all the big stuff. Sickle bar mower and a bunch of larger parts for my Massey Harris #2 Potato Digger too will need the attention of the tank.

Unfortunately the large barrel is not going to fit the bill, and my 5 gallon tank isn't going to cut the mustard either.. so I got this one to dunk the torque tube and other large pieces into....

I think this one might do the trick :!: :idea: :arrow: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”