74 Cub Electrical ?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

74 Cub Electrical ?

Postby siii8873 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:25 am

the lights on my 74 cub do not work. I removed the lights and tested the bulbs and they are all fine, and the fuse is good. The next item I intend to look at is the switch. I tried to remove the switch from the panel. I removed the knob and nut but there does not seem to be enough clearance to get it out. To really get a look at everything (switch, wiring, etc.) it looks like removing the hood would be the best way. I see that the gas tank is an integral part of the hood.
Anyone have any insight on this? Will the switch pull out, don't want to get the bigger hammer yet, and are there any issues with removing the hood.
"May the current be with you and the wind at your back"

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Peter Person » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:28 am

:shock: Remove the hood! :shock:
I'll let others weigh in on that.
Suffice it to say, I have not yet ventured into those waters.
Good Luck
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 am

Peter is correct - remove the hood. It is best if the gas tank is as empty as possible. Disconnect the battery for safety. Unhook the fuel line and remove the grille and front support bolts as well as the rear bolts. If you have lights, they will need to be disconnected and the wires pulled back through the grommets.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:40 am

Hey Bigdog,
My comment about removing the hood was not out of any expertise. All I know is that from what I've read in previous posts that once the hood is removed the "to do" list gets really long and usually really $$$$$$$$.
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:02 pm

LOL, I keep warning ya, don't remove the hood.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Sometimes it's even worse. This was a complete tractor (Tyke) before the hood came off! It's hard to tell when it was no longer a tractor.

After a lot of work, Tyke became a tractor again.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm

When you remove the hood, it helps to sing "LALALALALALALALA!" very loudly in order to prevent the to-do list from growing too large.

Really, pulling the hood isn't a huge job, but you will also probably need to pull the instrument panel as well. The TouchControl unit is what's in the way of pulling the light switch out.

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

Postby evielboweviel » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:54 pm

YUP
pull the hood, repaint it, straighten the wiring up, pull the dash to clean the rust off of the back side and repaint. Repair broken bolts
Pull the head to look at valves then remove radiator to boil out, rebuild the steering box to fix sloppy steering. then break the front pulley removing it to fix the front oil seal. Have the crank ground undersize, bore the cylinders, recond rods, install new wrist pins and pistons. Rebuild the hydaulics while you are at it.
Then
tackle the clutch, rebuild the transmission, replace the brakes ..................
you get the idea
WQhen done will have a great tractor for another 50 years
Ron

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ect Ect Ect

Postby siii8873 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:00 pm

I know what you guys are talking about but I will fight the fun and temptation as everything else works well. Someone was correct that the hydraulic reservoir is what is in the way.
I pulled my 1973 land rover in the garage about two years ago to change a thermostat. I kept removing bolts and parts untill there were no more to remove. Ended up putting a new frame underneath and working on every component on the way. Nearly done mostly body work left. My wife calls it the scarecrow "they took a part off and threw it over there and took another part off and threw it over there,,,"
I need to finish this job before I venture into these type of activities with this cub. It will be my next project, need to be brought back to original paint colors. A previous ownew painted it a canary yellow not the original IH Federal yellow.
Thanks everyone this site is real helpful for me being a new cub owner.

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:58 pm

If you're real flexible, you can remove the rear tank bolts, loosen the front support bolts, remove the fuel line and block the tank up with a small board across the top of the touch control unit. You can then take a 1/4' drive socket set and remove the dash panel bolts and tilt it out.
I guarantee it ain't easy but it can be done. It's about as quick to remove the hood.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

siii8873
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby siii8873 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 pm

I was looking at loosening things up and doing as Bigdog says. But being this tractor is new to me it would be worth it to pull the hood and take a look at things and do a lot of LALALALALA.