This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

it was the head gasket

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

it was the head gasket

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:04 am

Got the head off and the gasket was burnt between 2 and 3 . Got the valves out last night, they look to be in good shape.HOW ON EARTH AM I GOING TO GET THEM VALVE LOCKS BACK IN ??? I think if I turned the tractor on her side might help :wink:.Igot them out with a magnet screwdriver and I don't think that will work in reverse to put them back in. THANKS FOR THE HELP
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:33 am

HI Mac

I put grease on the inside of the lock. Get it close on my finger. And with a small screwdriver in the other hand use that to slide it up and into place. Make shure you have rags in the bottom of the oil galley so if it falls it does not go throught a drain hole into the oil pan.

Also use a strait edge along the head and block sealing surfaces put a flashlight behind it to see if it is flat do it fron a few differnt angles. Front to back side to side etc. So you know if it need to be resurfaced first.

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:38 am

As Cowboy says. Same basic technique.

Wheel bearing grease and flat bladed screwdriver. A dab of grease on the inside of the keeper and enough on the outside to stick the keeper to the screwdriver. Just a small dab of grease.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:09 am

I took an chep pair of nedle nose pliers and glued pieces of refrigertor magnets to the end. I put grease on the inside of the keeper as has been suggested. just put the keepers in place with the pliers, and slid them back.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:38 am

I've been trying the stick screw driver and grease for the past 2 hr. with no luck yet. got to go to town right now but will try the needle nose when i get back .thanks to all :roll:

Mac

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:38 am

Mac,

While you're in town, pick up one of the pocket screwdrivers with the magnet on the other end. Holding the keeper close to the thick (bottom) end with the magnet, use the grease to stick the first keeper in the groove and slide it around to the back so you have a clear shot at the second one. Once the keeper is entered in the groove you can release the magnet by sliding it end ways off the keeper. 15 or 20 minutes tops you'll have them all in place. :shock:

I'm glad you found the reason for the compression problem. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:45 pm

Got the valves in , bigest problem was the spring compresser that I was using was in my way . I got a differant one from a friend and that worked fine .Put a straight edge on the head , 3th out in the middle going from corner to corner . down both sides was good

Mac

Return to “Farmall Cub”