This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No White to be Found

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

No White to be Found

Postby Kirk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:23 am

I bought 2 Cubs a month or so ago. (A '50 and a '55). Talking with Cubguy47 (Brian), he told me that my serial number on the '50 showed it to be a demonstrator. 8) (Serial # 106172).

But have I sand, scraped and searched for any sign of white paint with no luck what so ever. :cry:

What do yall think :?:
Kirk

CUBS:
'49

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:39 am

Kirk:

I am no expert by a long shot.. but remember IH had them painted white for the demo period only. It is a well documented fact that IH wanted them all painted Red again after the demo period expired.

While most dealers may have been satisfied with a nice topcoat of Red.. others may have insisted on a complete re-do. Or, a PO thought the white was not original and had the tractor sand blasted..

Many possible scenarios.. but if the S/N falls into the accepted group.. then I can only assume that it is indeed a demo..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:19 pm

Rudi,

Thanx for your reply and expert opinion. I know I've heard that before :oops: but guess I just wanted to hear it again :roll: (reassurance I suppose)

Well isn't that cool 8) 8) 8) I own a demo :!: . Uh oh, problem is I bought it to sell. I support my addiction by buying and selling other Cubs. Something will have to go. And I had originally wanted to keep the '55.

Like Ralph says "too many cubs and not enough time". But my problem is too many Cubs and not enough $$$ :? :?
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:58 pm

If the tractor was originally white and has not been totally redone by a restorer, some evidence of the original white paint is almost inevitable. Various places up under the hood are good places to look for traces of white.

The serial number range is a "best guess" and is generally accepted but it may not be exactly right. There is some evidence that strongly suggests the range of serial numbers for white tractors includes a bunch of originally red tractors as well.

With that serial number, if you totally strip it and paint it white, it is unlikely anyone will ever be able to prove it either way.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:40 pm

i also seem to remember reading here, that there were a few that may have slipped through the factory during that time period that were red, and were not considered to be a demo at all? So just because your tractor number may fall in the number range, it may not be a demo necessarily. But i would agree with Jim, you got the number, once restored, no one would be able to tell the difference.

John

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:03 pm

I bought my demo, would have bet you everything it was always red. Break out your pressure washer and spray under the floorboard. That area near where the floorboard and tunnel and everything bolts together, if there is white paint it will be there. I couldn't find any under my hood, but the chassis was covered after I pressure washed it. Brandon.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Jim, John and Brandon,

Thx guys for the input. It is much appreciated. My delima now is to decide to keep it and restore it (as the S/N falls in the range I may as well paint it white) or the '55. My financial advisor stongly suggests that I should only keep one of them :cry: (as I already have several others that have found their way into my barn and won't leave) :wink:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:29 pm

look everywhere, a friend had one, demo #, couldn't find white paint, but then on the seat spring was some white, and his looke like it had been restored too....

good luck

Johnny

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:08 am

i'd keep the 50 and paint er white, no one will know the diff!. plus as you are doing the tear down, you are bound to fine something white. john

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:28 am

John,

I have decided to do just that. Though the '55 has the SS nameplates and a great looking grill, the demo's are unique and much harder to find.

Guess I'll be selling the '55 :cry: and keep the demo :wink:

My greatest opportunity though is finding the time to restore it. I'm still working on the Cub that started my addiction....the '49. Kay's (my wife) grandfather purchased it new. It has been in the family all it's life. I do have it nearly completed....but it's taken me 2 years :roll: ......and I'm retired :!: :?: :!: :?: .

My problem is too many hobbies. I dabble in selling Cubs and Cub parts to fund my restoration (I use the term loosely as I am no pro by any stretch) to Cubs and my early Bronco. :? But I keep finding myself KEEPING more Cubs than I sell.....big problem :!: :!:
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Merlin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Merlin » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:28 am

It is my understanding that because a serial number falls into the the serial number range of a possible demonstrator, it is not necessarily a demonstrator. They may have sent 20 red tractors and one white demonstrator to one dealer, 150 red ones and 2 white ones to another dealer, etc., etc.. So out of all the possible demonstrators, there may have been just one tenth of one percent (arbitrary number) of tractors actually painted white. I've had a lot of Cubs fall well within the possible demonstrator numbers. Close, but no cigar. But nobody will know except you.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:56 am

My understanding is that the entire paint line was changed over to white for that 2+ month period. It's possible some were shunted aside and painted elsewhere, but they would then be the exception rather than the rule.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Kirk wrote:John,
I have decided to do just that. Though the '55 has the SS nameplates and a great looking grill, the demo's are unique and much harder to find.

unique and much harder to find????

Just doing a little serial number arithmetic (not all that reliable).

Demos: 99536-106511 = 6,976 tractors.
'55s: 186441-193657 = 7,217 tractors.

Tractors essentially same as demos, minor changes plus paint and decals: 115403-165152 = 49,650 tractors.
(from intro of battery ignition and voltage regulator to addition of ground wires and approximate change to flat style lights)
Tractors essentially same as '55s, minor changes plus paint and decals: 185001-205808 = 20,808 tractors.
(all with stainless steel emblems and the many bar grille)

I agree with George's description on the factory handling of the white paint. The factory red was simply switched over to white for a period of time (generally believed to be 1/1 to 3/31. I would have expected special colors (such as yellow or orange for highway depts.) to have been handled then the same as any other time. The point I have heard question on is whether it was done for the entire 3 month period or if there was a block of red done during that time.

Kirk
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kirk » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:32 am

Jim,

I understand your point.....and George's as well regarding the possibility of "setting some aside" for regular or red paint.

I've given it much thought and can't , w/o guilty conscience, paint my '50 WHITE until some trace of white is found. And believe me.....I've looked :shock: and am confident this Cub has never seen white paint.

And with your synopsis concerning the number of "possible" demos vs the '55 Cub.....well, my heart tells me to not pretend that I have a demo (when I'm sure I don't) but to try and keep the '55.....which I really like better anyway.

So there you have it. That's my final answer. My desicion has been made 8)
Kirk

CUBS:

'49

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:47 am

Kirk,
Sounds like you have given it careful consideration and made a excellent choice. I like the looks of a "55" anyway and agree with you completely :!:

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Farmall Cub”