This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Replace Rod Bearings?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mdmccool
10+ Years
10+ Years

Replace Rod Bearings?

Postby mdmccool » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:18 pm

Hello-

I am in the process of an engine overhaul on my 1950 Cub. A few of the connecting rod bearings have light scratches - just one strait scratch across the bearing surface. The crank is clean, no scratches, and measures within factory specs. Should I replace the bearings or re-use the original?

Thanks for the help,

Matt
NJ

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:17 pm

I have a 1947 Cub and it sounds like we are doing about the same thing. When I checked the inserts they had a minor scratch in the center but the crank bearing surface appeared good and measured within tolerance. I talked to several people and got various opinons. Someone suggested that when you have gone that far why take the chance. That made sense to me. I decided to replace the bearing inserts

I have them on order.

Bob

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:33 pm

I agree with Bob you are that far in just as well do them and know that you wont have to worry about them later.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:12 pm

I'm defenently not the person to say for sure, but I've seen the same thing in other engines so I'm thinkin its fairly common to see a groove or scratch in a bearing were something like grit got pumped through. I don't think it will hurt a thing and might help lube the journal better anyway.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:41 pm

If you intend to work it, I would replace them, there is always metla fatigue to consider. if it is only for show and occasioanl parades they will probably be alright.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mdmccool
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mdmccool » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks for all the input. It does indeed make good sense to replace them at this point. Certainly much easier now than later. Will order them in the morning.

Thanks again,

Matt

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:13 pm

These are precision-insert bearings. A bearing protects itself by letting particles actually embed in the bearing lining material. It's called embedability.If the material was to hard to allow this it would lie on the surface and scratch the shaft journal. Now if to many particles (embed) on the bearings.That would also result in failure. To big a particle and that too.With oil filter, air cleaners, screens ,particles of dirt will get in engine. Cub engine ,what cranks @1800 rpm The bearing load is on the connecting rods are not that great. Combustion pressure around 100psi . What do you think? How deep is the scratch? If it was my call .A Little 600 paper on the scratch and lock and load.
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:54 pm

With all the work already expended it's a $40 bet

Bob

Return to “Farmall Cub”