This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Run with out a muffler anyone?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Run with out a muffler anyone?

Postby Jackman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:52 pm

Anyone run with out a muffler? I bought a 51 Cub last summer with a siezed motor it has the stack exhaust with out a muffler, the pvo says he never had the muffler on it in 18 years of ownership, I should have asked him if it was loud ,but the with excitement of getting a new Cub I just plain forgot, so what can I expect when I get this Cub up and running , is it going to be loud and anoying? I intend on ordering a new muffler when the budget allows.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:55 pm

I don't run without a muffler but I did have one like that once and it wasn't much louder than one with a muffler. It is not loud or obnoxious.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:55 pm

one time when i was at Ralphs house he started a cub up that had a straight stack , it was fairly ear piercing but not real bad :lol:
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:56 pm

The Cub doesn't have enough compression or rpms to get excessively loud. The muffler keeps the Cub very quiet at full power.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:04 pm

Wow that was quick, I was thinking it would be painfully loud, kinda like 4 Briggs @Sratton engines running at once, my 57 with a muffler is music to my ears :D..

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:13 pm

The loudness isn't an issue, really, but not having the muffler and raincap might have something to do with why the engine got seized up in the firstplace......raincaps serve their purpose....of course empty soup cans work well too, if you remember to put them on when you're done using the tractor.........

Not all cubs spend their nights in a nice dry barn, of course......my red one spent the winter next to the house incase I had to plow and couldn't make it up to the barn. It also served as a way to get around the farm when I wasn't fit to walk much...... :D :D :D :D :D

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:26 pm

I removed the muffler years ago in order to mow safely under tree limbs. The noise doesn't bother me but the thought of a cracked manifold does. We had that happen on the H while mowing with muffler in place. Dan

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:33 pm

400lbsonacubseatspring wrote:The loudness isn't an issue, really, but not having the muffler and raincap might have something to do with why the engine got seized up in the firstplace......raincaps serve their purpose....of course empty soup cans work well too, if you remember to put them on when you're done using the tractor....

You got that right, oddly enough the pvo (81 years old) put this Cub in the barn for 16 years then 2 winters ago he was plowing snow and developed sever pneumonia and was hospitalized for quit sometime that is when he gave up on plowing with the Cub so he parked it along side the barn under a tarp for 2 years and the stack pipe peaced the tarp and in came the water :(

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm not sure of how it would effect a Cub, but in the O manual for an A it states that you get a 2HP increase without the muffler.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:07 pm

Mufflers were optional equipment on the early model Cubs, according to sales brochures and Owners Manuals, but had become standard equipment by at least 1955, on the low, below the axle exhaust, maybe before that. An Owners Manual dated 8-15-50 states,
"Exhaust Muffler, The exhaust muffler can be supplied for owners who desire quieter operation of their tractors. It reduces the sound of the exhaust to a quiet purr"

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:15 pm

I have My new muffler still in the box it came in 2 or more years ago. The Cubs are so quiet without them that I have never been coerced to the need for it. I will put it on for any exhibition purposes or the day that I sell it. I sold 1 of My Cubs last week to a person needing it worse than I do. :P
Then came Bronson

bigdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:49 am

hey jackman

Somebody posted a while back that he ran his without a muffler and so in the restore we started it without the muffler. Although we did not break down the motor beyond the head, alot of what was loose and particles came blowing out once started. Got it timed and running great.

Cubs have as distinct sound. Porsches have it, Harleys have it and so do cubs. When we took the muffler off and ran it, the sound was like a little Harley. Nice and throaty. enjoy.

bigdaddy
'48 CUB 'lil' bigdaddy

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:40 am

There is an elite group on this board that belongs to the L.I.P. club. Myself, Donny M, John .-*?-. Cub Owner, and Ralph or just a few that come to mind. Requirements are that your cub be outfitted with a long, iron pipe.....no muffler. 8) :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:26 pm

I need to get a straight stack for mine. With the oil burning, some oil collects on the baffles and whatnot inside the muffler. When I throttle up that gets blasted out. I find litte clumps of oily carbon on my hood, and on me. :shock:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:29 pm

I may have a spare.... where are ya? They are less than $20 from a dealer.

I was pretty much expecting a lot of noise when I fired up Rufus after the work I did, but was really pleased with how quiet that 60 cubes really is.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”