This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Poping noise in final drive or xmsng ??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Poping noise in final drive or xmsng ??

Postby rvbarkley » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:49 pm

My Cub just developed a "popping" noise on the left side, as near as I can tell, in or near the final drive, that I'm trying to diagnose.
It's a Lowboy with an Auburn trencher mounted.
Makes the popping going forward or backward but more prevalent
forward and not necessarily consistent.
With or without it in gear or coasting.
When I jack up the left side it seems to go away. (take weight off of)
Pulled the pan on the final and bearing quill cover. No shaft play BUT
the bull gear did have some play, (wobble), which doesn't seem
right.
My next move will probably be to remove the bull gear and bearings and inspect. Hope I don't have to go to deep, especially into the trans/differential as I would have to remove the trencher assy....sure hope to avoid that. Looks to be a lot of work and rigging.
Has anyone else had a similar popping?? Just doesn't seem like the noise a bearing would make? Ideas? Thanks, Roger

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:56 pm

Before you get too serious, check wheel lugs, rim to wheel bolts, and wheel weight bolts. Next would be the bolts mounting final to transmisison, and brakedrum set screw.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvbarkley » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:40 am

Checked lug bolts, didn't think of rim to wheel bolts...will check. Belive the final to trans. bolts are OK (no broken paint lines). Tell me more on this brake drum set screw ?? :shock: Thanks, Roger B.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:06 pm

The brake drum (inside bell at top of final drive ) is held by a setscrew that tightens down against a woodruff key. If that screw breaks, it will alow the drum to move on shaft, sometimes making popping noise, and eventually resulting in no brake on that side due to inside of hub of drum becoming ground out. I tried for 2 months to find a simiar noise on my 48, that was only occasional, until one day I had no brakes. If you have wheel weights don't forget their bolts too.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:59 pm

Is the noise when you first let out the clutch? If so its a loose spline hub on the clutch disc. It will make a popping noise that will transfer through the whole tranny making it seem as if its somewhere in the back. You may even be able to feel it in your feet.

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvbarkley » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:47 am

John, It was the rim to wheel bolts......Tightened them up and noise is gone !! ......Thanks for turning me around and getting me to look for the simple/obvious first :oops: :oops: ...I don't know why, but seems like I always assume the "worst" first !!... :D :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:54 am

glad you found it. When there is a problem we all tend to assume the worst ntil we learn otherwise. If it makes you feel better, just think aobut me whne I was a teenager, and our H was making nosie that I thought was a wheel bearing. I was making preperations to tear ti down, which is not a fun project with fluid and 3 sets of wheel weights. Dad cme in form work just as I was jacking it up in preparation to remove wheel and suggested I check rimbolts. On an H they are a clamp. Guess what. :oops:

Return to “Farmall Cub”