This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rear main seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

rear main seal

Postby kylev » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:25 pm

The new rear main seal I got is a little loose in the retainer. My dad sprayed some copper coat and said it should be fine. I am not sure though. I saw in a post that you can get it modified but not wanting to do that is there any kind of sealer that I need to put between the retainer and seal other than copper coat?

Thanks
Down here in cajun country!
Breaux Bridge, La
http://photobucket.com/albums/y235/kylev/Tractor/
1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:09 am

This is a very comon problem. You can do a search on this topic and find many posts a replies on it. In short I used JB weld on mine and have had no problems. Some guys have used pyrmetex also. But yes use somthing besides coppercote, or Im affraid you will be splitting your tractor again! Good Luck Alan

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:13 pm

Make sure you "peen" the housing to the seal. I faced messing up this repair 3 times before someone on this forum said to peen the housing.

Good Luck!

Bill

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:15 pm

Exactly what do you mean by "peen the housing"?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:06 pm

The retainer is cast aluminum. I'm not sure it will take much "peening". Here's a better solution.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12962&highlight=rear+main+seal
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Daniel H. » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Does anyone know when the seal retainer changed from R1 to R2?
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:06 am

Well I forgot to say that . My dad did peen it. I guess thats what you call it. He took a punch and punched it several times around the housing then added coppercoat. Will this work or should I dont something else?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:50 am

If he got it good and tight with the peening, that and the Copper Coat should do it. if not, paractice makes perfect. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:57 am

In several different threads, I have noticed that the rear seal retainer has been described as aluminum. Today I happened to pick up one of these, part#251363 R1. It is entirely possible that some of the retainers were made of aluminum as I have actually handled only a few of them. The one I have is obviously not aluminum, much too heavy. Without actually testing the metal, my guess is that it is zinc. The difference is not that important, but those who mention peening for resizing the seal pocket might consider that zinc crumbles easily when flexed more than a minimal amount.
Luck favors those who are prepared

wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wwirz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Now that we all know what peening is..........................

Lock the seal in place with Hi-Temp (Black) PERMETEX.

The retainer is made out of aluminum to the best of my knowledge having seen two of them.

The peening has worked for me and the PERMETEX locks it in real good.

Good luck.

PS. Do not go nuts with a ball peen hammer to "peen" around the bore of the main seal. A punch is all you need to deform around the bore with the peening method.

Bill

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:09 pm

the rear seal retainer is made out of potmetal. It like aluminum but has other alloys. I have posted a fix for the rear seal before but maybe it wasnt on this site.Its been sevrial years ago. I came up with a way to pin the seal inplace. This has been the cheapest and best fix. I have been using the pin system for over ten years with no problems. first install the seal with a good silicone. i use GE sillicone 2 clear. This will insure a good seal to the potmetal retainer.. remember most of the problems with real seal leakage is the seal coming loose. after the sillicone sets up (about a hour) you will need three 1/8 by 3/8 inch long pins. I found some long brass or aluminum rivits at the hardware store that work well after i cut to length. then I drilled three 1/8 inch holes spaced evenly around the ratainer going just through the rubber coated metal seal. carefull not to drill too far and damage the seal where it meets the crankshaft. Then drive in the 1/8 pins just through the seal. it should be a tight fit. you may want to use a slightley smaller than 1/8 bit if you have one but a 1/8 bit seems to work for me. then if there is excess sticking out just grind off. you will have a permanent fix. The real reason the seal comes loose is because the potmetal and metal in the seal expand at a different rate. eventually letting the seal work its way out.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:52 pm

wwirz wrote:Now that we all know what peening is..........................

Lock the seal in place with Hi-Temp (Black) PERMETEX.

The retainer is made out of aluminum to the best of my knowledge having seen two of them.

The peening has worked for me and the PERMETEX locks it in real good.

Good luck.

PS. Do not go nuts with a ball peen hammer to "peen" around the bore of the main seal. A punch is all you need to deform around the bore with the peening method.

Bill

What PERMETEX exactly are you referring to. I have gone to their website and was trying to find the one you were referring to but there are a lot of choices. Can you point me in the right direction? I want to buy this for more than the rear seal . I would like to have this type of sealant on hand for other seals I come across later that I will be replacing on my cub

http://www.permatex.com/products/automo ... ealant.htm

Is this the one you are referring to?

Also I have to replace my mag/govenor seal, should I use this PERMETEX on this seal to lock it in place?

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

Postby oronc » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:39 am

USE ONLY OE I/M TALKING BUY ONE FROM THE IH DEALER, NO AFTERMARKET I'M SPEAKING FROM EXPER. I SPLIT MINE 3 TIMES ,]SUCKS AFTER A WHILE] USE A NATIONAL SEAL I BOUGHT FROM FROM ADVANCE AUTO,THE ONE FROM THE DEALER HAS RUBBER ALL AROUND THE ENTIRE SEAL,NATIONAL SEAL WAS METAL.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:57 am

ORONC, the problem is nto who made the sela, but the fact it has changed over the years. If you have one of the ealrier retiners with the part number (on engine side) ending in R1, the original size seal is nolonger availale form any manufacturere, including IH. Teh rubber mount helps slightly, but not enough for it to work without some modification. My suggestion to anyone that has the earlier style retainer is to contact Rick Prentiss (billyandmillie) anf echcahnge your R1 retainer for one he has modified for a different seal. if you don't wnat to go to all the problems of using the sealer, peening it, etc. The new styel retianer is available form dealers ( part number 251363R21) but is around $125. it does come with a new seal
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kylev
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kylev » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:55 pm

I have finished with the rear seal. What I was asking the question for is for the seal I am replacing now which is the mag/govenor seal. Should I put it in with grease or some sort of sealer like PERMETEX?

TY

Breaux Bridge, La

1951 Cub Serial #1221xx

Return to “Farmall Cub”