This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is Non Skid Tape Correct on The Operators Platform on My Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Is Non Skid Tape Correct on The Operators Platform on My Cub

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:16 pm

OK, somehow I suspect this is a stupid question but I am going to ask anyway. My Farmall Cub (1951 vintage) has (well, it had until I started to refinish it) non skid tape on the operators platform area where your feet rest. It looks like it's been there forever. Is this correct? If so, where do I get some new pieces of it?

Thanks in advance for your help guys. This forum has been great help in my restoration project!!

Cliff Caldwell

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:23 pm

Although it was not original, many have added the tape for safety reasons. You can pick it up at any home supply store such as Lowe's or Home Depot. Just look for stair tread safety strips.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks Big Dog. I suspected that was the case. Think I will pick some up at Lowes.

This project is about to get the best of me. Some previous owner has painted the thing with about 1/8" inch of paint - maybe PlayDough - who knows. It's a nightmare to wire brush off - even with a welders wire cup. My previous restorations were pretty much rusty hulks - I though this would be a snap. It's way way more difficult.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Hey it is your tractor so what ever you do for safety is the greatest thing sin the invention of Cotton Candy. Maybe even greater than road dried possum gravy.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Cliff,

If you come to the Cub pull at Bigdog's place next weekend you'll see the platform on the winner, Rambo nearly covered with the stuff! :D :D :D

Some previous owner must have had a tape franchise... It had more reflective tape showing than paint. :shock: Most of it has been removed.

Bottom line... when it comes to safety most folks are willing to cut you some slack, even though it may not have been on the tractor originally.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:57 pm

I put it on My Rick/Built step and even on the surface of the brake & clutch pedals. :P
Then came Bronson

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:54 pm

A tip for removing the thick paint is either a needle scaler or a chipping hammer. the paint is the same on my loboy
scott
Image On To Bigger Things

ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks Scotty D for the tip - will have to try that. This paint kind of gums up when you wire brush it with a welders wire cup (which seems to work well on every other tractor I have ever restored). It's a fight all the way! The paint is on too well in most places but not good enough to rough up, prime and paint over. I thought this Cub was going to be a "quick restore" since it was in good shape, running perfectly and 100% functional with almost all the right parts - but it's turning out to be a very long battle with this paint.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:26 pm

Well it might be more trouble than you are having now and I dont know exactly which parts you are removing the THICK paint from. But if you are doing individual parts I find that the electrolysis method removes the paint without effort.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:38 pm

You can also buy non skid paint.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!