This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need some electrical help! (lots of pics)

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ike » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 am

Trackburger wrote:
So if I want it back to 6 volt this is what I'll need to do:
Replace the alternator with a cub generator, have my magneto rebuilt, replace points and condenser and probably the mag coil. I wont need the square box anymore(external regulator) and I wont need the external coil and condenser. Am I correct in saying I wont need a battery, or is it still needed???

If I go the 12 Volt way, I'll need a new battery, new alternator(with built in regulator) new points, and will I need the external condenser and coil? Also I can get rid of that ballest resistor as well right???

This is the hardest part of the project for me....I'm not good with electrical at all. ........, I just need to get this electrical system straight.
I guess my biggest question is If I go with 12 volt with a new alternator, coil, battery, points, and, coil do I need to get a new distributer????? I was reading that there was one for the 12 volt conversion...or....can I just keep the one I have and just not use the mag and coil inside????? If I do this do I still need the external condenser????
Man I wish I could just look st someones and see it in person.....it would probably make it easier for me...LOL :lol:

Anyway...Thanks for all your help I really do appriciate it!!!!! You guys are great!!!
Steve

Steve,
The total electrical system is actually made up of three smaller systems with the only common component being the battery (exception being a working magneto which does not need a battery). If you look at each system individually, it should make more sense to you.

Charging System
Battery and 6v generator with external regulator
OR
Battery and 12v alternator with internal or external regulator

Starting System
Battery and starter

Ignition System
Working magneto
No battery needed, creates it own electricity
OR
Battery ignition
Battery, distributer, and external coil

From your description, you no longer have a working magneto. It has been converted to battery ignition, which is why you have an external coil. What the guys are suggesting is to have the magneto rebuilt so it works and eliminate the battery ignition. An engine with a working magneto can still be started with a hand crank even if the battery is dead.

Generator or alternator for the charging system? If you want it original, get a generator. If you just want it to work, look at cost and make a choice.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Ike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Trackburger
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Trackburger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:44 am

Thank Ike.....By breaking it down like that you really helped me understand what I need. I really appriciate it!!!! 8) :)
Steve
1948 Farmall Cub (now gone)
1971 Cub Cadet 73
1950 David Bradley
The harder thing to do and the right thing to do are usually the same thing ;)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:45 pm

What I dont understand is if it was converted to 12 volts, why was that ballest resistor but in to convert it back to 6 volts???

The ignition coil is 6 Volts only. If you hook it to 12 Volts without a ballast resistor, it will burn up in a few minutes of running.

Return to “Farmall Cub”