This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How Do You Change the Lower Radiator Hose?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

How Do You Change the Lower Radiator Hose?

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:05 pm

Can I change out the lower radiator hose without pulling the radiator or the engine? Seems like a dump question, but..................

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Cliff Caldwell

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:08 pm

One way is to unbolt the pipe from the side of the engine block. New gasket required.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm

I agree, drain the fluid first and try to save it in a clean container, if it's milk jugs your wanting to use it's going to take a few. when you refill it use a cloth to strain out the gunk.

ccaldwelltexas
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ccaldwelltexas » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:23 pm

But can I pull it (cut it out and replace it) without removing the water neck from the block? Seems every time I put a wrench on soemthing that's 50 years old I snap a bolt off.

AlanPCUBS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AlanPCUBS » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Its possible but you will save yourself alot of frustration and time in my opinion by pulling the neck.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:40 pm

The water pipe on the side of the block is going to have to come off. :( Make sure you replace the gasket and that the surfaces are clean and free of old gasket. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

LARRY BALL
10+ Years
10+ Years

lower radiator hose

Postby LARRY BALL » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:59 pm

CLIFF,
YOU GOT SOME MIGHTY GOOD ADVICE ON THE LOWER HOSE. I JUST FINISHED REPLACING MINE THIS WEEK-END. STARTED WITH A GOOD PENETRANT ON THE BOLTS. SATURATED THEM "REAL, WELL" JUST TAKE YOUR TIME. BUT FIRST I USED A GOOD QUALITY RADIATOR FLUSH AND LET IT "SET" FOR A DAY. AFTER REMOVING THE TUBE I REMOVED THE RADIATOR CAP AND WITH A HIGH PRESSURE NOZZLE ON MY HOSE "BACK FLUSHED" THE COOLING SYSTEM. YOU WOULD NOT BELEIVE THE "K-R-UU-D" THAT CAME OUT. KEEP FLUSHING UNTIL CLEAR. INSTALL NEW GASKET, NEW HOSE AND NEW CLAMPS. ADD COOLANT AND YOU SHOULD SEE A DIFFERENCE :!:
LARRY BALL

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:51 pm

ccaldwelltexas wrote:But can I pull it (cut it out and replace it) without removing the water neck from the block? Seems every time I put a wrench on soemthing that's 50 years old I snap a bolt off.

Cliff:

Take your time, use lots of penetrating oil and work the bolts slowly.. they will come off without breaking in most cases. So far I have only had 2 bolts do that to me.. one on the upper neck on the head and the other was a head bolt. A little heat from welding a nut on the stub took care of getting it out.

If that particular hose was not re-inforced, then you probably could get away with the short cut... BUT and this is a BIG BUT that hose is re-inforced and will not go on unless you take that lower neck off. Also, the gap is not large enough to allow the re-inforced hose to go on. Even a non-reinforced hose probably would not go on easily..

I thought I could get away without doing it right. It was the first major lesson Ellie-Mae taught me. You wanna work on a Cub.. you gotta do it right or you will end up doing it or messing with it till you break down and do it right. The Cub wins... in the end.. but then again, so do you :!: :idea: :arrow: :wink: 8) :lol:

And as it was mentioned. Make sure you replace the gasket and that the mating surfaces are really clean, especially on the lower neck..
Last edited by Rudi on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:13 pm

On my cubs the gap between the 2 necks is only about 3/4 inch. It would be pretty hard to change without pulling the casting. One note, It is easier to remove the casting if you rmeove the starter. and while you have the starter off you may as well ......
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:23 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:On my cubs the gap between the 2 necks is only about 3/4 inch. It would be pretty hard to change without pulling the casting. One note, It is easier to remove the casting if you remove the starter. and while you have the starter off you may as well ......

John:

Precicisely and Precisely
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bob Grieb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bob Grieb » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:33 pm

I replaced the lower radiator hose on my Cub and it was a lot easier to remove the inlet casting from the block by first removing the magneto. It sounds like a lot of trouble but trying to work witn minimum clearences is always a pain and is most often time consuming. It is not that big of a problem to remove the magneto.

That's my two cents worth

Bob

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:53 am

Also when you replace the gasket and neck use a sealant such as permatex on both side of the gasket. This will just about assure no leaks. I hate when leaks happen. You don't usually see them until the starter and the mag and the hood etc are all on and then they all have to come off again.

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:13 am

I had mine off on the week end and found the starter had to come off to make it easy but I forgot to put thread sealant on my bolts an sure anough I got one leaking.Oh well thats the way things go for me ( it must be old age) :lol:
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Return to “Farmall Cub”