This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NOT WORKING!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
01AFcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

NOT WORKING!!!

Postby 01AFcub » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:18 am

Hello all,
So I stll cannot get my small electrolosys bath to work. I cant figure what I am doing wrong. I am limited in my supplies and resourses. As i am a mechanic I have everyday acces to a battery charger, but its a pulse charger from snap-on. Does it being a pulse charger have anything to do with it? I have some scrap stainless for the sacrificial piece, its clean. My leads have 12 VDC but I cannot get any current flow. :oops: :cry: I knonw its a redundant topic but i just cannot seem to get it right. I may just have to wait to get home and get the right pieces parts sos to speak. Thank you for your help yet again.
matt z
Love to one, Friendship to many, Goodwill to all.-anonymous

The secret of success: never let down and never let up. - anonymous

Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It is lent to you by your children. - kenyan proverb

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:30 am

Matt:

Can you post a pic of the setup you have? As for the pulse charger -- what is the primary use of a pulse charger??
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:34 am

My charger wouldn't work for me because it needed a battery to charge so I put one in and run the wires from the battery to the tank and now you couldn't ask for anything better. Hope this helps you.
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:27 am

Matt, think the problem is the charger. When my neighbor and I built our tank, he tried using two of his chargers and neither would work.

I ended up using an old Schumacher charger I had laying around, and it worked like a charm.

The problem was that the new chargers are "TOO" smart. They have now installed semiconductors and circuitry that prevent you from hooking the terminals backwards, as well as the overcharge protection feature, etc and this causes the problems a lot of folks have seen when using them with the electrolysis tank.

As Mac already mentioned, one way to get around the problem is to hook a battery in-line with you tank, in order to "fool" the charge so that is will produce the amperage.
Mike Duncan

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:36 am

Matt,

First, stainless is BAD to use as a sacrificial piece if I've been reading the threads on electrolysis correctly. It gives off toxic fumes. Use plain old re-bar, plain old steel, and your lungs will thank you.

Second, how are you measuring Amps? You can't just touch the two battery cables with your multi-meter set on the AMPS function. You'll blow the meter in a split second, then it will look like you're getting zero Amps.

To measure Amps, you need to disconnect one of the battery cables and put a known good working ammeter in between the cable and the first rebar. The meter has to be a part of the circuit to measure Amps. Just don't run it like that for long or you will burn out the meter, since most meters are limited to 30 seconds or less when measuring Amps. Check it, then go back to the original configuration.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:12 am

The problem is, as others have said, that the pulse charger has to be fooled into thinking it is actually charging a battery. There has to already be a voltage on the leads or it won't work. The battery in the circuit will do that, but it would be better to use an old style charger.

The ammeter on the charger will work fine as an indication of current flow... that's what it's for. :) There's no need for a different meter. Current flow can be increased by adding more electrolyte.

Based on what chemistry and physics I learned about 1950, it's the rust on the work piece that's sacrificial. The stainless shouldn't be sacrificed at all unless it's attacked chemically by the electrolyte. The problem with the anodes is because of DEPOSITS.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:48 pm

I read somewhere a long time ago, a man used a DC welder for the power source... I think he was using it to do whole 16' utility trailers..

Never tried it (Welder) but it sounds feasable.. For a larger project

David C
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:51 pm

For anyone considering a welder, don't forget the operting expense. they require quite a bit of current, jsut idling. Not built for efficient operation.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Cheap/no cost 12 volt DC power supply for your electrolois tank. Power supply from a junk computer.

Plus 5.5 volt DC. -5.5volt DC. +12.0 volt DC. -12.0 volt DC and zero volts. 15 amps. That's from an old Compac computer. It takes a volt meter and a bit of time to check the voltage and tag each lead. School used to get donated computers. Most were junk but had good power supplies. Used the power supplies in shop projects.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:47 pm

i had heard pc power supplies mentioned before, but didn't know if they delivered engouh current.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:06 pm

On the old Compac PCs. The power supply had a bundle of wires comming out. Each wire was solid and very small. We sorted out the wires by voltage, then bundled like voltages together to form a lead. These power supplies were rated at 15 amps.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 pm

Eugene:

Dang :!: :!: :!: :idea: Why didn't I think of that... :?: :?: :roll: :?: I must try one and see if there is enough.. 12 V DC red wires.. for sure.. if they were all connected.. there might be enough juice.. Will have to check it out and see what it can do......

Could be way off base here.. but.. hey can't hurt to try..

Did a quick Google on Computer Power Supply Pin Outs. Here are some interesting links:

This might be of some help Matt....

And now I understand the pulse type Battery Chargers.. it is what I thought, but gee I hate to feel dumb which does happen more than I would like :roll: :oops: :roll: :? :wink: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:47 pm

Computer power supplies can definately be used. I experimented with one when I first built my tank.

I was lucky enough to "Obtain" a very heavy duty power supply from a piece of electronic gear at work, that had lost the 5V leg. But, the other portions worked fine. So, I mounted it into a plastic box to keep it dry, and it works great.
Mike Duncan