This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

safety question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rubee
10+ Years
10+ Years

safety question

Postby Rubee » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:18 am

I was doing a little landscaping with my 1948 "Elmo" and front blade. Having fun moving dirt when I tried to pull a large tree stump out of the way. Elmo does everything I ask of him or dies trying. He couldn't move the stump much and bucked and kicked with the front end lifting at least a foot or two in the air before I could push in on the clutch. My question is: Do cubs have enough power to actually flip over and possibly injure or kill the driver? Thanks, Rubee

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: safety question

Postby Rudi » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:22 am

Rubee wrote:I was doing a little landscaping with my 1948 "Elmo" and front blade. Having fun moving dirt when I tried to pull a large tree stump out of the way. Elmo does everything I ask of him or dies trying. He couldn't move the stump much and bucked and kicked with the front end lifting at least a foot or two in the air before I could push in on the clutch. My question is: Do cubs have enough power to actually flip over and possibly injure or kill the driver? Thanks, Rubee

Rubee:

YES :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 am

AND IT CAN HAPPEN VERY QUICKLY!

Were you pulling properly from the drawbar?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:51 pm

YES, They will also climb straight up a tree faster than you can blink. DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW.

One more thing to watch. Lifting the front end off of the ground (well, actually dropping the front end after lifting it) is the quickest and easiest way to snap the front end casting on a cub.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:04 pm

Farm tractors were not intended to pull stumps out of the ground. It is a quick way to kill yourself. Or at the least, injure yourself seriously.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:11 pm

Consider that any tractor will do a back flip in less time than it takes for the rear wheels to make 1/4 turn! :evil: :twisted: That is a very short time when you and your tractor are trying to do a difficult job.
George Willer

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:59 pm

YEs it will. I did it.
Search for my previous post in the thread about accidents.

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

Postby technova » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:03 pm

I forgot to add that we tried to pull a few stumps with tow trucks. Not one ton car haulers but semi sized wreckers designed to tow full semis.
We could easily lift the front end off the ground of the wrecker without budging the stump.
Get a guy with a stump grinder or dozer to rid of the stump.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:49 pm

A Cub tractor pulling tree stumps?

A tree is a gigantic water-logged pipe that sucks water out of the ground and carries it up to the leaves where the water is released into the atmosphere. A tree holds tons of water way up in the air. Foliage adds hundreds of square feet of wind catching surface area to push all that weight around dozens of feet off the ground. A tree puts a lot of energy into growing a massive root system right from the start.

A tree is tethered underground with a huge root system to withstand the stress of massive weight and large surface area swaying in gale force winds. The root system is basically thousands of wooden anchors to keep the tree from falling over.

When you cut a tree down, the root system stays intact. Even if the stump sits dead for several years, the decay is only within several inches of the soil's surface. Bacteria and fungi breaking down the wood fibers need a specific moisture and oxygen level to function effeciently and the "sweet spot" is right at ground level. Even with soft wood trees, the underground root system retains it's structure for years.

There was a stump removal at Cubfest 2006. The stump was about 12" in diameter and had been dead for several years. With his backhoe Cub, Rick Prentice dug a 4 foot deep trench around a stump in Gene Dotson's yard. Gene hooked a chain to one of his big Case tractors and it took repeated attempts to loosen and pluck that stump out of the hole.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:54 pm

In 1974, I had a John Deere flip backward with me. Just a bruised elbow for me. About 85% of such accidents are fatal. Short wheelbase tractors are more prone to backflips. The CUB is short! Describing how fast it happens is difficult using ordinary words!
Luck favors those who are prepared

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26321
Tractors Owned: -
1952 Farmall Cub "Squeaky"
1954 Farmall Cub "Patience"
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:33 pm

Can a Cub flip if you are pulling from the drawbar?

I get concerned sometimes when pulling my loaded garden trailer up the steep bank in the back yard. I've never felt the front end getting light, but I'm always looking for it. I pull with a ball on the drawbar.

Thanks, this was informative.

BlackJeep
----- Farmall Cub - The most fun you can have with your pants on...

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:23 pm

BlackJeep wrote:Can a Cub flip if you are pulling from the drawbar?

I get concerned sometimes when pulling my loaded garden trailer up the steep bank in the back yard. I've never felt the front end getting light, but I'm always looking for it. I pull with a ball on the drawbar.

Thanks, this was informative.

BlackJeep

Anything is possible, but back flips are usually caused by hitching to a higher point than a RIGID drawbar.
George Willer

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:20 am

Bus Driver wrote:In 1974, I had a John Deere flip backward with me. Just a bruised elbow for me. About 85% of such accidents are fatal. Short wheelbase tractors are more prone to backflips. The CUB is short! Describing how fast it happens is difficult using ordinary words!

I'll try. A cub engine wide open under full load runs 1600 rpm, or 26 2/3 per second. Divide that by the low gear ratio, differential ratio and final drive ratio, you are all the way down to only about 1/3 revolution per second. An alert, young, adult male average reaction time is 3/4 of a second. In 3/4 of a second, a wheel turning 1/3 rps will turn 1/4 of a revolution. So the alert, young, adult male that tries to hit the clutch as soon as he sees the front wheels leave the ground will be under the tractor before he can reach the clutch pedal. Older people have slower reaction times but won't be any more dead.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:08 am

Older people have slower reaction times but won't be any more dead.
That probably doesn't factor in the time delay for saying an explicative!! Jim B used to have a pictorial on moving a smaller tree from one spot to another. Seems he pulled in reverse??

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:14 am

I can attest to how fast a cub's front wheel will come off the ground. I occsionally use my rear mount disk plow to clean out ditches along our road. I was doing this one spring, travelling up hill with the chains still installed from plowing snow when the plow caught on a rock. That isn't supposed to happen with a disk plow, but it did. When doing that type work I ride with my foot about an inch or less above the clutch pedal. The inertia of the sudden stop threw me forward so that my foot depressed the clutch pedal before I even had time to react, but the right wheel was still 6 inches above the ground before it stopped and dropped back. I didn't get time to see if the left one was also. :?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”