This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Power Unit Serial Numbers

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
LabadieBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63055

Cub Power Unit Serial Numbers

Postby LabadieBill » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:03 am

Does anyone know where I can find a listing of Cub Power Unit (U-1) serial numbers. One of mine has serial number MB503079 and I am interested to know how it was used. The engine casting number is 4-24-W so the engine must be a 1951. Thanks for the help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 am

I never have found a serial number listing for the Cub P/U`s. I am 900 miles away from home at the moment so I cant look at My unit or info. Mine is a 1951 and has a (B) for Baler on its number tag.
Then came Bronson

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:43 am

That number does not seem at all to be an IH number. One of the engine changes was made at serial number UCUBM 3174 and IMCUBM 21374, for example. I would expect that numbers would be in this form and style. The number 503079 probably exceeds the total production of these engines.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Just a guess, but it probably came off of a #50 baler and is sequence number 3079.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:18 pm

Bus Driver wrote:That number does not seem at all to be an IH number. One of the engine changes was made at serial number UCUBM 3174 and IMCUBM 21374, for example. I would expect that numbers would be in this form and style. The number 503079 probably exceeds the total production of these engines.

My thought exactly. The serial number would be hand stamped on the engine in the same place as the tractor engine number... on the machined flat behind the oil filler and just below the valve cover (and on the tractor, behind the hydraulic lines). They can be very hard to read. A couple of my tractors carry power unit serial numbers.

UBM 50417 is an example serial number of an engine known to be from a 50-T baler. The "B" may be an indication of its' original use. The UBM and the 50417 were obviously stamped at different times... they don't come close to lining up.

My suspicion is that the number part was assigned in the order of production and the prefix was added when the final application was known. I'm sure others can say for sure.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:05 pm

My power unit is
1953 POWER UNIT 64HTC 118 36
It came from a #64 Harvester, Thresher, Combine
I truely don't think yours is a U1, especially if it has the big ole square box Galvanized radiator cover and high screened air intake.
The U1 has a rounded sort of streamlined looking grill. They were used primerally for driving electrical generators, irrigation pumps and oil field pumps.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:46 pm

My unit's tag reads:

Model: UC-60
Serial Number: 1525
Max. Idle Speed: 2750

I think this one is mid late 50's. It has the rounded grill that I think is the same grill used on the A. It is a federal yeller International. It runs better than any other c-60 I have.

I want to mount it onto a trailer and use it to drive a generator (Chinese built :shock: ) like Cowboy has.
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:31 pm

I have found a little more info on this that may be of interest if not helpful.

IH custom built many units to meet the specific need of their outside manufacturer-customers. Identifying letters and numbers were added to the serial numbers following the serial number as a suffix. Here are some of the suffixes and the application that these units were used in.

B-32A....Brookville Locomotive Co., Brookville, PA, Locomotive
BU-1A....Buda Co., Harvey, IL Engine Starter
HG-2A....Hensel Green Co., Chicago, IL, Unitow Tractor
PE-1A and PE-2A....Palmer Engine Co., Cob, CN, Marine Conversion
RP-47F....Ready Power Co., Detriot, MI, Generator Set
U-1C......Universal Insulating Co., Insulation Blowing Machines
YT-2G and YT-6A....Yale and Town Manf. Co., Philapelphia, PA, 2G ShopLift Truck 6A, Service Engine
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Return to “Farmall Cub”