This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wanted: Info on Log Splitters

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Wanted: Info on Log Splitters

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Hi All,

I am looking for a log splitter that will work with my cub. Is the "screw/cone" type splitter that works by screwing into the log the only type that came with the cub ?

Thanks rpm2002@juno.com
Rick 1948 cub

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:58 am

With the Cub's hydraulics only capable of 3GPM and 1100PSI, you wouldn't get much wood split with a Cub-powered hydraulic unit. Most "homeowner" log splitters coming equipped with 18+GPM, 2500PSI pumps.

Maybe you could find a homeowner log splitter like that with a tired engine, maybe cut it up some to mount on your Cub, then run the pump off the Cub's PTO?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 am

Rick:

From my readings, no splitter came with or was made for the Cub specifically. All were "made do" affairs.

I know what Matt is saying, but I am looking at how to mount a hydraulic splitter to Ellie. I know everybody says a Cub can't do this or it can't do that.. my wife's uncle who own's a Cub, has said the Cub can't do much except plow and disc a bit and look pretty.

But, I think that the Hydraulic Splitter is an idea that bears looking into. I like Bill Poor's splitter for his H. I think he has it mounted to the H, and it has it's own reservoir and I think maybe it's own pump, but the mount is what I like. I really think that the Cub can handle it, IF it is designed correctly and IF one is always cognizant of the Cub's limitations.

A Cub powered splitter certainly isn't going to win any speed records, but if you want to play and aren't in a rush, then it should be viable. Will let all know once I get it done.... I am thinking on it and going to be consulting with some experts over the next little while. Also, a local home-brewer I know, feels the Cub is more than capable -- and I will add some of his thoughts later..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:00 pm

would you have to change the direction of the pto to turn the pump or does it matter?
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:03 pm

Ron:

I would think that changing the direction of the PTO is a red herring :roll: :!: :wink:

It would be just the orientation of the pump itself which decides how it turns either clockwise or counter-clockwise. I had this concern when I was thinking about the gear pump.. but in that case it didn't matter either.. worked both ways, but we had determined that with a different model than the one I decided on, that all we had to do was change the orientation of the pump itself to change direction.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:01 pm

You just have to get a pump that's designed to turn 1800RPM, or tune the sprocket/pulley ratios to get the pump to turn at its rated RPM.

One that attaches directly to the PTO shaft on the cub... That's the toughie. You can get hydraulic pumps that fit on standard 540 PTO shafts, but unless you've got the super-ultra-rare reverser unit, it won't fit on a Cub.

Rudi, I agree anything's possible with a Cub, but in this case, it's really not practical to split wood with a hydraulic splitter powered off the Cub's Touch Control hydraulics. Having split many a block of wood in my relatively short life, I'm well aware of the effects of GPM and PSI on getting the job done. With only 3GPM, you better hope winter's not coming too soon as the oil trickles into a 2"x24" hydraulic cylinder, let alone the 4" cylinder you really should be using to maximize push with such low pressure. With only 1100PSI available to push, you better hope the blocks are straight-grained and well-seasoned, or you're going to be using the Go-Devil a lot.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:38 pm

Matt:

I hope you are going to be at Cecil's, this could get to be an interesting course of edumacation for me...

There has to be a way... all we gotta do is figure it out :!: :idea: :wink: :lol:

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:49 pm

The H pictured with the wood splitter has a PTO pump. Actually, the Cub PTO speed is perfect for most pumps. Most of them are for 1750 RPM electric motors. I do not have my reference at hand, but be sure to calculate the HP required for the pressure and GPM delivery of the pump being considered. Do not use a pump that will use more than 9 HP, 8 HP would be better. A 2 stage pump would be a good idea. Most pumps are not reversible nor designed for direct belt drive. Using a pulley on the Cub PTO to a jackshaft with the pump coupled to one end or the other of the jackshaft would enable using a pump whether the direction matched the Cub PTO or not.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:56 pm

BD:

More info please????

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:35 pm

I have a screw to run off my pto when I figure out how fast I need it to run and wheather to run a chain and sprocket or belt. Billyandmillie solved the pump direction problem, made it look simple. Maybe search the archives.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Heres what I know thus far.
Hydraulic Horsepower = Pressure (psi) × gpm / 1714
My unit employs a 21GPM 540 single stage pump supplied by a 21 gal reservoir. It will use all the power the H has and then some if I set the relief at 2000PSI or above. However the idea with this unit was SPEED :D and then some!
A friend of mine yrs ago had a splitter made from a C60 stationary and he said it was the best. The engine is quiet and has all the power necessary if you use a 2 stage pump. Most of the time the pressure used to split wood is only a few hundred PSI. Its that difficult piece that demands the pressure and thus the power. Its best if you aren't using a cooler to match reservoir capacity to the GPM otherwise in warm weather oil temperature may get high. The prince pump I bought recommended that. The commercial one Earl has can get so hot you can't touch the reservoir. May be wise to put some factor in the power equation so you won't be relying on max power from the C60 to get the job done. Basically derate it a little.
Lastly, I really like the advantage of putting the wedge on the ram and passing it through a gate. If while splitting you run up against a bugger and can't split it you will have the option to back up through the gate thus withdrawing your wedge automatically. No need to beat it off with a sledge hammer.
I hope to have the unit in the pic up and running next week behind the CA. I'll be sure to get pics.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:00 pm

I built mine in 1981 for a 35 HP tractor. My pump is a bit too large, but I used it due to the LOOOW price. Mine will spike at 3300 PSI, then kill the engine if I hold the lever AND the wood does not split. That rarely happens. My cylinder is 5 1/2" dia. and has stroke of about 39". I used much too large reservoir of 25 gallons and can never detect any temp rise. Mine was painted pretty. green and yellow. Yep, like those tractors. The years have made it look shabby now.
Do some study before building. Most of the homemade units here bit the dust quickly. In selecting cylinders, do not ignore the "slenderness ratio". Be sure to not starve the pump intake. http://www.engineersedge.com/column_buc ... _ideal.htm
Luck favors those who are prepared

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 pm

The big thing to have is a 2stage pumpand you will splide most anything. You could use a 3or4 hp brigs and do a great job on Oak Maple and all. so why burn the extra gass this day and age? :shock:

Mike's 49 Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46970
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub 1940 H

Postby Mike's 49 Cub » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Rick, I looked into a splitter like you are . The one I finally came up with works great with my Cub. It's a 35 ton , 12.5 hp that can split both horizontally or vertically. Got it from Tractor Supply , it hooks right up to the drawbar and it just follows my Cub around. Or it will hook up to my pick up and go with it. It's taken care of everything I've thrown at it. For me the nice thing was I wrote a check, hooked it up to the truck and drove it home. I wasn't even tired when I got home ! Thus allowing me more "Cub seat time" Mike
Mike's 49 Cub

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:14 pm

The only reason I decided to build me own was speed. Earl's is a tractor supply model also and it does a great job. Been used yr around for 3yrs now and it works great. Its just sloooow. Thats all. I spend alot of time watching the ram go back. I was looking for ram speed to hopefully get more wood split in less time. I'm sure the fuel issue will be an issue though. The speed probably will not make up for the 3 extra cylinders sucking gass. :cry: