This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Point Gap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Point Gap

Postby Arizona Mike » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:43 am

When I had the distributor out of my '59 Tuesday to check and set the point gap, I was not able to get the gap correct because of the wear on the cam lobes and apparent wear to the shaft itself. The shaft has some play in it , and this wear, and the wear on the lobes is enough that the points cannot be set right but only almost right. Its either a little less than .020 or more depending on how the distributor shaft is positioned and which lobe is in contact with the points breaker.

It seems to be runnung OK now, but is this a problem for the points and ignition or should I replace the distributor? Is there a way to fix the worn parts?

Thanks
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 am

AM, That is a very good question as I know myself I don't usually check all the lobes to see if the gap will be the same. I think its pretty common for the shaft to be loose and also the gear on the end to be loose. All which could effect performance.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:26 am

The setting is not required to be absolutely precise. Get it as close to 0.020+/- as you can and it will be fine. If using timing light for setting the timing, set the point gap first. Changing point gap also changes the timing.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:17 am

If you take the dist apart and take the point plate off and pull the top part that that the rotor would go to and put some light grease in there and reinstall it may take care of the loose problem. then 20thousands.
JON

Return to “Farmall Cub”