This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hot Wire!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47711

Hot Wire!

Postby beguz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Installed a new 6V battery yesterday and immediately saw a lot of smoke coming from under the engine cover. Quickly disconnected the battery. Wiring very hot to touch. Did a couple tests (quick reconnect / disconnect of the battery and watched for source of smoke), pinpointed the wire from the ammeter to the starter as the source. The connection at the ammeter glows brightly (Ok, it's almost on fire) as soon as the battery is connected. The wire is now pretty much shot ... insulation melted in a number of places. I haven't replaced the wire yet, but suspect there's more going on than just the bare insulation. I pulled the wire aware from the engine block and everything else so it's not touching anything, but made no difference.

Any suggestions? Is the ammeter the problem?

Tractor was fine last time I used it ... about a month ago. Old battery gives same bad result as new one.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Sounds like a short in the ammeter :?: I would replace the ammeter and the wire. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:25 pm

The glowing and smoking at the ammeter is indicative of a loose or corroded connection which will generate heat under high current situations. No doubt there is damage to the wire and likely the ammeter. However, this may be only part of the problem. You need to find out why there is such a high current flow. There must be a complete path for current flow so you need to find the path. Start by removing the connections to the opposite terminal of the ammeter and then re-connect the battery to see if there is still a drain. If so, then the short to ground is indeed in the ammeter. If not, there is another short somewhere. The most likely path is through the voltage regulator or cut-out to the generator. This would only happen if the contacts on the regulator or cut-out were burnt and stuck together so that is another place to look.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

No Current at all

Postby beguz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Big Dog, I removed the 2 wires from the opposite terminal and re-connected the battery. No drain (or smoke or light). Absolutely nothing. Suspicious, I reconnected the wires and tried again, and again absoluting nothing. So, unlike yesterday, it's like there's no current at all. Checked the battery, it's still reading 6V. So something else went bad?

Also, :oops: I couldn't locate the regulator. From parts diagram, it looks like it's between the magneto and generator, but I don't see it there.

Appreciate any and all advice!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Look on top of the generator. What year cub are we dealing with? And do you know if it is a cut-out or regulator? You mentioned a magneto so I'm guessing it's an early cub.
Bigdog

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beguz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:45 pm

1948, serial # 55479. Oh, top of generator? Can't see what's up there. No, don't know what you mean by a cut-out.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:11 pm

early cubs used a 4 position light switch and a cut-out relay to control the charge rate. The light switch was marked L H D B indicating Low charge, High charge, Dim and Bright. The generator field winding was grounded through the light switch either directly to ground (High charge) or through a resistor to ground (Low charge) to control the charge rate. The cut-out relay opens the charge circuit when generator output is lower than battery voltage. This prevents the battery from being drained back through the generator windings.
My suspicion is that you have or had a stuck cut-out relay and the drain was through the generator windings. In either case, I'd remove the hood and open the cut-out to check the contacts.
You will, of course still need to replace the wire to the ammeter and check the ammeter itself to assure it has not been damaged.
Bigdog

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

O D B

Postby beguz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:54 pm

My cubbie's light switch is 3 positon marked O D B. What does the O stand for? Does this change the explanation much? Where exactly is the cut-out relay located?

Thanks for spoon feeding answers to me![/quote]

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:59 pm

The three position switch is Off Dim Bright. It would also indicate that you have a voltage regulator rather than a cut-out. You might check to insure that the switch truly only has 3 positions. Sometimes the wrong decals get installed.
Bigdog

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beguz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:53 pm

Good suspicion. 8) It is a 3 position decal on a 4 position switch. The first 2 positions on the left are close to each other, then the next two are spaced out farther to the right. I haven't used the switch for a long time since my lights don't work because the fuse burns out as soon as I put one in. Maybe this is another clue to the root of the problem?

OK, so if I have a cut-out relay, where is it located? And, if I need a new one, suggestions on where to get one?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:58 am

Look on the left side of this page. It shows the cut-out relay mounted on top of the generator.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... 008-02.jpg
Bigdog

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

OK!

Postby beguz » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 am

OK, thanks Big Dog. I'll check it out asap. Unfortunately for me, my cub is outside under a tarp, so I need to wait for good weekend weather to do much work on it. If I need new parts (relay and/or ammeter), suggestions on where to buy ... just go to a local Case dealer, or internet seller?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:20 pm

Local Case dealer or NAPA are likely local sources.
Bigdog

beguz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beguz » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 am

You need to find out why there is such a high current flow. There must be a complete path for current flow so you need to find the path. Start by removing the connections to the opposite terminal of the ammeter and then re-connect the battery to see if there is still a drain. If so, then the short to ground is indeed in the ammeter.

... and, the answer is, the short to ground is indeed in the ammeter. Did just as you suggested, big dog, and based on that bought a new ammeter. My cubbie is purring, maybe even better than ever. So, thanks to you and this great forum, one more old cub lives on! (and now has to go back to work ... we have a field to mow :lol: )

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:40 pm

We aim to please! :lol:
Bigdog

Return to “Farmall Cub”