This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrolysis Before and After?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:12 pm

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that it will not well (or at all) inside of parts. Pretty much line of sight. So things like battery boxes and tool boxes are tough to do well.

Some things are just plain easier with a wire wheel (bolts) or cup brush on an angle grinder. I think most castings fall into that category.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:05 pm

Has anyone cleaned a hood before and what about the inside of the gas tank. I found an old milk tank I think I can get the hole tank and hood in but I didnt no how i cuold get the black stuff out of the tank. Mine flash rust reeal bad got to try the TSP
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 am

Hey Brandon...All I can say is...If Rudi and Cecil could make up a TANK that you could DRIVE your whole Cub into...Guys would be LINED UP to BUY THEM :!: :wink: The process is SO SIMPLE...most people don't think that it could work...BUT IT DO :!: :!: :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:29 am

'Country' Elliott wrote:Hey Brandon...All I can say is...If Rudi and Cecil could make up a TANK that you could DRIVE your whole Cub into...Guys would be LINED UP to BUY THEM :!: :wink: The process is SO SIMPLE...most people don't think that it could work...BUT IT DO :!: :!: :wink:

Cecil has already thought of using the pool :!: :idea: :wink: :D But Priscilla soon put paid to that idea....

I was thinking.. this would make a great tank yes?
Image Image

This one you can't drive your Cub into, but you can lower just about the whole drive train into it :!: :idea: :wink: :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: Might have to remove the drop axles though......

My brother-in-law Ray has a tank in his shop that they use for rotating tri-face aluminum sign faces where they soak off the ads... usually in multilayers. That tank IS big enough to DRIVE into and he is giving up that contract so the tank is surplus.. the BIG ? - do we DO IT :?: :idea: :?: :roll: :wink: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ckauf73
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ckauf73 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:33 am

When cleaning out your tank what do you do with all the nice stuff that is at the bottom of it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:56 am

ckauf73 wrote:When cleaning out your tank what do you do with all the nice stuff that is at the bottom of it.

Actually any number of things..

1. Drain the sludge into an open container, allow excess water to continue to drain via a small drain (ie.. oil pan), then you can dispose of the solid matter in the back yard etc..

2. I personally find that most of the materials are quite benign, and make an excellent fertilizer.. especially where I am having problems growing grass (I am terra-forming my back 23 acres... ) so I use it along side the road or in areas that are lacking vegetation.

3. The liquid itself (although by using TSP - you only need to drain the sludge occassionally, the fluid can remain) if you must drain the tank can be safely applied to your lawn etc. as a fertilizer. Just don't drain it anywhere near your trout or Koi pond... :shock: :? :!:

Disposing of it in this manner may have some tree huggers up in arms, but true environmentalists understand that phosphates are naturally occuring.. and do not present any danger to the enviornment except in humongous doses such as when heavy industry produces it as a byproduct or municipalities dump raw sewage into Lake Erie and Lake Ontario providing the famous soap foam crown to the Great Lakes back in the 60's.

Also, if one is concerned about phosphates and JUST DOESN'T FEEL COMFORTABLE - then Savogran provides a Phosphate Free Tri-Sodium Phosphate ????, and is available in places such as the entire State of New York -- Right Cecil :?: :?:

Oh and surprisingly the Phosphate Free Tri-Sodium Phosphate, works almost as well as the real stuff which I learned at CubFest Northeast 2006 :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Redman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Redman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:18 am

:?:
Last edited by Redman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:30 am

Why is that in your driveway?? :shock:
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

Ron Luebke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30145
eBay ID: 9716ron

Postby Ron Luebke » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:39 am

now thats funny :lol: :lol:kinelbor
TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT !!!

' its just plain ole Ron '

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:49 am

That looks like you cut the tower off a sub
even has the hatch on top I see :lol: :lol:

Is that the barrel of a deck cannon stickin out the bottom?
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:51 pm

The next thing, someone will be trying one of the concrete tanks with the opne tops they used for seage systems. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Hey "Redman"...YOU GOT IT SON...That Tank's JUST THE RIGHT SIZE. Just lay'er over on her side REAL EASY LIKE (and PRAY she DON'T ROLL DOWNHILL TOO FAST :!: :!: :wink:

B.T.W. Rick...Is that TANK the one you're a usin' ta process all them Cub digital photos you got sent for the FarmallCub.Com calendar :?: :shock:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm

I sure hope you didn't carry that thing all the way out there just to take that picture for us :D
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: electrolysis

Postby Super A » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:42 pm

Rudi wrote:Al:

I use my 4" angle grinder fitted with a twisted wire brush for the most stubborn stuff. Yes, there will be some areas that are stubborn, especially on the rims and such where you have crevasses etc., but for the most part it will just wash off with a water hose. For better results than what a 1/2" or 5/8" hose can give you, try using your power washer if you have access to one. It really spiffies it up fast.

THEN: Just let it dry.. and forget it until you are ready to prime... more than just one part. That is what I do.. and since summer/fall of 2004, I have parts sitting in my shop that have yet to be primed, but have ZERO flash rust or rust of any type :!: :!: :!:

So for the extra 2 or 3 dollars a box of TSP costs compared to the Washing Soda ifn I could get it regularly, I figure I am saving a bundle on rattle cans of primer and I don't have to panic right after the part dries :wink: 8) :D 8) 8) :!: This was a point that Cecil and I reiterated many times during CubFest Northeast 2006... and it is worth mentioning over and over again.

Thanks, Rudi that was what I was looking for. I have done electrolysis one time and liked the results but I wasn't sure how the best way to clean it was. I've got an entire A-180 corn planter I want to zap as soon as I get my hands on a big enough container......

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965

Postby Cecil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 pm

Yea Pris put a hurtin to the idea of using the pool. We even figured out how much TSP you would need. Rudi was working on the wiring and I was working on designing the ramp to get it in with. :D

Redman I would probably get away with that large tank. But Pris would make me keep it behing the barn unseen. Hey how about a fiberglass septic tank. There was a time when they were the rage. I installed one when we had the construction company. I looked like a minisub too. Let me see 1000 gallon divided by 50 times 2 is. Never mind to much work.

Return to “Farmall Cub”